Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think of a Motronic Diagnostic tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. The required 'software' is a Vitesse DME chip? Would this work with old chip versions or only later model ones?

You'd have to think there could be a market for this with indie shops as well. Not to mention a huge BMW community that's Motronic based. Hmmm. Interesting.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

As a VR stuff collector, I might be interested
Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plots of data over time would be interesting to see as well. Will the system support exporting the data to csv for analysis by other tools?

Also, will there be any way to sync the data to a common time standard? It would be cool to be able to display this data synchronized with data from other sources.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am interested. More universal even better. Like to test with my classic BMW as well
Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Interesting. The required 'software' is a Vitesse DME chip? Would this work with old chip versions or only later model ones?

You'd have to think there could be a market for this with indie shops as well. Not to mention a huge BMW community that's Motronic based. Hmmm. Interesting.
Obviously, we want existing customers to be able to use this tool, however it's too early in the development phase to know the low level details.

Shops could benefit greatly from this.. As far as BMW (Audi?), they will need to run our software.. Maybe we'll offer them a MAF conversion as well
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dare
Plots of data over time would be interesting to see as well. Will the system support exporting the data to csv for analysis by other tools?

Also, will there be any way to sync the data to a common time standard? It would be cool to be able to display this data synchronized with data from other sources.

Adding time is a good idea, but might complicate things and drive the price up. Setting time stamps requires additional hardware (clock), and software to set the time. Good idea..

As far as exporting to CSV should not be a issue.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have several programs/devices for my Formula for monitoring, data logging and reprogramming (ScanMaster, TTS Datamaster, TunerCat and a AKM Electronics cable). I'd be interested in something like this. I'd want to see the cable with a USB interface and the software Mac compatible though.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

interested

I just hope that if it is not only software that the hardware be quite small as I have no more space behind dme/klr
Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I am in! As a matter of fact, I'd volunteer to help you test!

Regards,
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Shops could benefit greatly from this.. As far as BMW (Audi?), they will need to run our software.. Maybe we'll offer them a MAF conversion as well
There might be business available at least in the BMW world. For example AFM Link MAP conversion was widely used there before it was adopted to 951
Old 03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

for the other makes youcould make a dummy chip that would allow a indy shop to insert and use the software on then remove the chip once diagnostics are complete so they can use it on other autos
Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

John, if this product will be some day available, remember us europeans as well. We would like to have metric version, so Farenheit to Celsius, PSI to BAR/KG.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by badcoupe
for the other makes youcould make a dummy chip that would allow a indy shop to insert and use the software on then remove the chip once diagnostics are complete so they can use it on other autos
Great idea, it was thinking along these lines as well.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
John, if this product will be some day available, remember us europeans as well. We would like to have metric version, so Farenheit to Celsius, PSI to BAR/KG.
Already done a few BMW MAF conversions, the best one was a E30 M3 Turbo...

Will look into the STD vs. Metric
Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Adding time is a good idea, but might complicate things and drive the price up. Setting time stamps requires additional hardware (clock), and software to set the time. Good idea..

As far as exporting to CSV should not be a issue.
Looks like a nice product and it would be very handy for troubleshooting. I would agree that without a time stamp or a time-tick stamp, data collection would be hard to sync up with other recorders like traqmate. Looks like a couple of variable would be needed by the PC interface to get proper HP and torque readings such as weight, gear ratios and tire size. Keep the new stuff coming...

Quick Reply: What do you think of a Motronic Diagnostic tool?