Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

X Post; Roll cage information here

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce,

I know you and I have discussed the moly/mild steel dilemma before. Here's a couple of shots of the most recent 944 series cage we did. If I remember correctly it was 68 feet with X in the back stays, dash bar, eyebrow bar, X in pass door and nascar style door bars. The car isn't as light as yours so it was 1.5 X .120 wall DOM mild steel all TIG. That specs to 1.769 lbs per foot so at 68 feet it's only 120.292 lbs.

Last edited by Hoosier Daddy?; 03-05-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Only 68 feet. Even with the basket? good to know.
I'll be putting in an X brace, but with smaller tubing. I'll also be throwing in Forward tubes to the shock towers, and front lower frame rail.

Nice cage though. Nice and tight.

I'm not liking the NASA rule that you can't attach hoop and other parts of the cage to the body though. This is more of a Stock class type rule. There are a few rules in there that are more of a stock type class than say a GT class. Another example being that you are only allowed 4 bend in hoop and forward hoop. It's a bit annoying and should be changed in my opinion. Two completely difference types of race cars, yet NASA limits the extreme GT to those of a showroom stock class.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

68 feet represents what actually made it in the car.

Give or take I estimate:

9' main hoop
4' harness bar
4' diagonal bar

6' rear back stays (2 at 3')
8' for the X

12' A pillars (2 at 6')
4' dash bar
4' eyebrow bar

7' passenger door
12' driver door

OK that's 70 feet, the cars not sitting in front of me anymore, so don't anyone go using these as cut numbers!!! They are generalizations as I said give and take. That being said, I'm going from my notes and I know it will get you very close. Again that accounts for the tubing that made it into the car. You and I both know how tube work goes, there's always some left on the shop floor even if you don't bend any scrap.

I agree with you on the CCR rules. Cars that are super tight in the head room area at the b-pillar could benefit from another bend in the center to get the hoop protection as high as possible. That being said they'll allow it in most cases if you step up in diam/wall thickness. What class are you building for? Double check NASA CCR 15.6.17 as to doing the X from smaller tubing.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:04 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy?
68 feet represents what actually made it in the car.

Give or take I estimate:

9' main hoop
4' harness bar
4' diagonal bar

6' rear back stays (2 at 3')
8' for the X

12' A pillars (2 at 6')
4' dash bar
4' eyebrow bar

7' passenger door
12' driver door

OK that's 70 feet, the cars not sitting in front of me anymore, so don't anyone go using these as cut numbers!!! They are generalizations as I said give and take. That being said, I'm going from my notes and I know it will get you very close. Again that accounts for the tubing that made it into the car. You and I both know how tube work goes, there's always some left on the shop floor even if you don't bend any scrap.

I agree with you on the CCR rules. Cars that are super tight in the head room area at the b-pillar could benefit from another bend in the center to get the hoop protection as high as possible. That being said they'll allow it in most cases if you step up in diam/wall thickness. What class are you building for? Double check NASA CCR 15.6.17 as to doing the X from smaller tubing.
15.6.17. ... I've got the rules right here, and I read it as I can use whatever I want since the X is not required.

It says, "All required bars must be made of the same material and meet with at least the minimum
specifications for size and thickness.

I've seen so many cages that I thought were cheaters, until they pointed to the rule book and showed me where I was wrong. There are a lot of options here that are perfectly within the rules, that as a newer guy, i never thought were possible. - NASA does limit this though. They grey areas I still try to shy away from.

Much appreciated on the footage though. I've ordered 120' plus 200 more for 2 other cars We have to do here at the shop. SO... Should have plenty I guess!!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

True, I guess I was thinking ALL bars not all required.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Now, lemme clarify that this was when I was big in drag racing. But reading the rules and trying to find the open options are pretty much universal. I am starting to get confused between the two though, and constantly have to refer to the NASA ones. GT is where I'll be. I feel sorry for the poor BMW's.

Looks like a cool 944. I guess that was a customer's car. Does yours have a cage? Will you be racing anytime soon? Not that I'll be out there anytime before summer.

Quick Reply: X Post; Roll cage information here