Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broken A/C Pump (crazy search)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
N-Dub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken A/C Pump (crazy search)

So last time I get in to drive my car it started squeeking really really bad. The kind of squeek that sounds like a rotten fan belt. High pitch constant SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK type thing haha. I went and got a new power steering and A/C & alternator belts. So I'm under the car taking off the old belts and realize that the A/C Alternator belt is kind of lose and when i push on it with my hand it flexes quite a bit while moving the A/C compressor.. Thought that was weird so I looked up at the tab that the A/C pump uses to mount to the ?block? and there was a huge crack almost all the way through it. The A/C compressor is barely hanging on there..

Anyone else find this before?? I tried taking a picture, but it wasn't accessible..

Doubt that there is a repair because the compressor is one piece correct? If not anyone have a compressor for sale?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 02-28-2009, 04:01 AM
N-Dub
Racer

Or does anyone know the type of metal the compressor is made out of? I should be able to just weld it, right??
Old 02-28-2009, 05:07 AM
azmi951
Drifting

I had mine crack at the front mounting ear. I replaced the compressor.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a compressor off an '89 turbo if your interested.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check that your rear bolt is installed, if not this will explain your crack.
Also, before ever adjusting the belt tension loosen both the front and rear bolts. Failure to do this will result in the same issue repeating itself.

The compressors are different between early/late models so if you really want another one from a lister you should post up what year your car is. I wouldn't deal with welding the tab back on, the compressor housing is mostly aluminum, and there are lots of heat sensitive bits inside of it.

Quick Reply: Broken A/C Pump (crazy search)