Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who knows anything about carbon kevlar seat date stamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who knows anything about carbon kevlar seat date stamps

Just pulled an OMP Carbon Kevlar seat out of friends Daytona Prototype. It's stupid light. It feels like it's made out of card board. It's that light. Far lighter than any race seat I've ever picked up. And yes... it's going into my car. They paid around $3k for the seat new.

The question is the date stamp on the seat.

For those of you that know... these seats are clearly dated. Why? Do they lose their rating after a certain date like harnesses?

If anybody has direct knowledge with respect to this issue, I'd love to know more.

I'm curious if this seat is safe to run, and if so, for how long (if applicable).

TonyG
Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 AM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The date stamp is because FIA requires that safety equipment - seat belt helmet HANS - is not older than 5 years.

In Europe most organisers implement this rule, so before each race all the date stamps get inspected.

If the stuff is really unsafe? I would think that depends upon usage. A rarely used seat, 6-7 yo could be better as a heavily used 2 yo IMO.
But that is just an opinion.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
phlip
Racer

Most "club" racing orginizations, PCA, NASA, waive the rule of replacing seat after 5 years if a properly mounted seat back brace is used.
Lets see some pics of that seat.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony,
Hans is correct, it is for manufacture date tracking.
The goverment makes us do something similiar, although ours must be embedded, not scribed.

Pics of the seat, my brother!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

I'm aware of the inspection on the seat belts and helmets, but I've never seen the requirement on the actual seats.

Anybody know how long the seats are good for?

TonyG
Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
DanR
Drifting

In PCA the rule is over 6 years old and must be used in conjunction with a seat back brace. rule 27 from http://pca.org/clubrace/docs/08%20Rule%20Book.pdf

"If the seat is within 3” of the firewall, a seat back brace is not needed but the area between the seat and firewall
should be padded with high density foam. A seat back brace is not required in cars equipped with a current
FIA approved seat and seat mount. Installation of a new FIA approved seat requires concurrent installation of a
new seat mount and new seat rails, if seat rails are used. The seat mount and seat rails must be sold by the seat
manufacturer for installation with the specific seat selected. The chassis mounting points for the seat must be
reinforced and in good condition. The seat must be replaced after 6 years from the date of manufacture if not
used with a seat back brace
"

If still unsure best to ask on racing / DE forum.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
CPR
Race Director

From my experience it is hard to get any CF rep./handler to pinpoint the point of compromise with carbon fiber. As with any epxoy based product the type of use, environmental conditions and quality of fabrication all play important parts.

From what I have personally seen, most quality CF products made 10-12 years ago, look and resemble new.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
I'm aware of the inspection on the seat belts and helmets, but I've never seen the requirement on the actual seats.

Anybody know how long the seats are good for?

TonyG
Use the same discretion with seats as you would for helmets and harnesses. They are "good" until they are structurally compromised, or until a sanctioning body tells you to replace.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Does c/f go 'stale'? I mean I realise this is a safety oriented issue but how much can a seat degrade over the years if properly fitted. You're strapped in with a Harness so I wonder what actually happens?
Or is it just a liability issue and perhaps an 'arrangement' to help the vendors sell more equipment? I doubt that but still.....
Old 02-27-2009, 06:33 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I would give you solid reasons but then again i have no REAL info to share because i only know about carbon kevlar used in racing bikes
Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

AS others have indicated - refer to your sanctioning body. Some don't even require FIA seat, and some do with as low as a 5 year date restriction.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by reno808
I would give you solid reasons but then again i have no REAL info to share because i only know about carbon kevlar used in racing bikes
Great...

So is the seat going to break if I back it into a wall at 60mph?

It is a carbon kevlar $3k seat dated Feb 2005

I looked at the seat closely and it looks new (the shell that is).

TonyG
Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Does c/f go 'stale'? I mean I realise this is a safety oriented issue but how much can a seat degrade over the years if properly fitted. You're strapped in with a Harness so I wonder what actually happens?
Or is it just a liability issue and perhaps an 'arrangement' to help the vendors sell more equipment? I doubt that but still.....

The issue, I would guess, is the seat breaking if you backed it into a wall, etc... If the seat broke, the harnesses would be come useless because you would be moved backwards.

And I'm guessing that's why the POC says that after 6 years from the date stamp on the seat, you need to use a seat back brace.

TonyG
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by TonyG
Great...

So is the seat going to break if I back it into a wall at 60mph?

It is a carbon kevlar $3k seat dated Feb 2005

I looked at the seat closely and it looks new (the shell that is).

TonyG
As long as the epoxy is in good condition (e.g, no repairs or cracks) then no it will not break.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 PM
2bridges
Drifting

if you inpsected it closely and it was not is a heavy wreck I would make sure you install it properly and with a seat back brace and use the **** out of it!!!!

Quick Reply: Who knows anything about carbon kevlar seat date stamps