Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad Pinion Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009 | 12:02 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Pinion Bearing?

When I let off the gas, especially at higher speeds, I hear a faint "shhh" sound. I know the pinion bearing is a common thing in the 968 and a grinding sound under these circumstances is a symptom. Does this happen often on a 951? Does it sound like I have this problem? BTW I have a solid trans mount and SFR 3" exhaust which I recently swapped cat and non-cat pipes on(I made sure the angled part went the right way). What do you think?
Old 02-27-2009 | 08:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Those bearings are usually pretty robust on the 951. I think you might just be hearing the "gears" with your solid trans mount - when you get off of the gas, everything's quieter.

Watch some videos of race cars with straight cut gears... does your noise sound like that? (Hans Stuck doing the Nurburgring in 8 minutes in a BMW comes to mind...)
Old 02-27-2009 | 09:28 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Watch some videos of race cars with straight cut gears... does your noise sound like that? (Hans Stuck doing the Nurburgring in 8 minutes in a BMW comes to mind...)
What a awesome video and sound that is.
Old 02-27-2009 | 10:20 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Van
Those bearings are usually pretty robust on the 951. I think you might just be hearing the "gears" with your solid trans mount - when you get off of the gas, everything's quieter.

The car makes the sound when I let off the gas, not when I'm accelerating. That's why it's hard to compare to a video, you don't see too many people just coasting without gas or brake in videos. I think/hope I'm just being paranoid, but I'm more confident hearing it's not a common problem.
Old 02-27-2009 | 10:28 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess I was thinking that the engine/exhaust would be louder under acceleration - so you wouldn't hear the transmission noise.

The 951 guru is Kevin Gross - a call to him might answer your question the quickest.
Old 02-27-2009 | 10:55 AM
95ONE
Race Car

If you have a solid mount, you could just be hearing the regular noises through the chassis. It is common. I really think this is all this is.

Quick Reply: Bad Pinion Bearing?