Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Failed #2 Rod Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Which one is your 3rd picture? How do they feel? Other than that 3rd picture, I'd say they don't look so bad.
The only one you can feel anything on is the #2. When this first started happening I did a compression check and the #2 was definitely like 105 while the others were all in the 130-140 range (if my memory serves me correctly).
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

That sucks. You need to find a good short block since your crank is damaged, and you need atleast 1 rod. No cheap way to do this. If you have a local machine shop that can do alusil work, and they will clean up with .003-.004 you can send a set of pistons to Swaintech, I have a set fresh from them swaintech. They measure 3.941 Lindsey sells a set of oversize rings. I think they are 250 for the set.

I have a set of pistons as mentioned above, I have a crank (several) and a few sets of rods. I am pretty sure i have a good 86 block that is machined for the above pistons. Should be .001-.002 clearance but I would have to verify. Cylinders are properly honed with Sunnen Hone, stones, felt and paste.

Jonathan
Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlturpin
That sucks. You need to find a good short block since your crank is damaged, and you need atleast 1 rod. No cheap way to do this. If you have a local machine shop that can do alusil work, and they will clean up with .003-.004 you can send a set of pistons to Swaintech, I have a set fresh from them swaintech. They measure 3.941 Lindsey sells a set of oversize rings. I think they are 250 for the set.
I don't know if any local machine shops can do alusil sadly, and I don't know if I want to go down that path. I'm trying to decide between just buying a new motor, which I think I have a line on a decent one, or getting a new block/crank and building it from that.

If I bought a good condition block with girdle, etc and a good condition crank shouldn't I be able to use it all to produce a working motor? Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by amirpc
If I bought a good condition block with girdle, etc and a good condition crank shouldn't I be able to use it all to produce a working motor? Is there something I'm missing here?
Don't forget an extra rod! But that sounds like it'll work.

BTW, do you need a new oil pan? Isn't that what started all of this?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I have a complete 2.5L Long block, great compression, 145+ great leak down, would need to be sealed. I have not pulled it yet, but could in a few weeks. Also, Max Energy has a really nice 89S long block for sale. VERY clean engine.

You will need to make sure to get the appropriate Tolerance group pistons for the block you purchase.

Jonathan
Old 02-28-2009, 01:27 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Don't forget an extra rod! But that sounds like it'll work.

BTW, do you need a new oil pan? Isn't that what started all of this?
Yeah I will replace the oil pan while I'm at it.

Question: Is it possible to repair the damage to the #2 cylinder without resleeving and getting new piston rings and such?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by amirpc
Yeah I will replace the oil pan while I'm at it.

Question: Is it possible to repair the damage to the #2 cylinder without resleeving and getting new piston rings and such?
You will need new piston rings - I wouldn't reuse those. You could do a light honing in cylinder #2, put a new piston in there, run it and see what happens. That fix may last longer than you own the car...

It also depends on what your performance goals are... they higher they are, the more precise and "perfect" everything has to be. The engine will only work as well as the lowest "quality" part.

Engine building isn't rocket science... what is rocket science is high performance engine building.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
You will need new piston rings - I wouldn't reuse those. You could do a light honing in cylinder #2, put a new piston in there, run it and see what happens. That fix may last longer than you own the car...

It also depends on what your performance goals are... they higher they are, the more precise and "perfect" everything has to be. The engine will only work as well as the lowest "quality" part.

Engine building isn't rocket science... what is rocket science is high performance engine building.
Actually I don't know what the hell I was thinking about the piston rings, its even in my big spreadsheet of parts to buy - I guess I just forgot. I am going to check into honing.

Now I just gotta find someone who can do alusil work in Texas, haha.

Quick Reply: Failed #2 Rod Bearing?