Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trans options on the 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, i meant that the syncros are a problem on the T-56 (Corvette trans).

Some of the GT40 guys were putting a 1/4" thick steel plate behind the pinion gear, then machining 1/4" off the rear cover. Supposedly the transmissions were able to handle enough power that the CV's couldn't stand up, including drag launches.

BTW, drag launches are what killed both of my friend's T-56's in the Corvettes....
Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 PM
AL951
Racer

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Just to play devil's advocate, what's wrong with the 951 box?

If strength is what you're worried about, people have put a steel plate behind the pinion and made the 951 box almost bulletproof. Another possible route would be cryo-treating (i used to work on a lot of DSM's, that was the cure for their weak transmissions...and either way, it's only a few hundred bucks).

The hardest part would be finding a set of axles that could take what you could throw at it...

But if it's just the gearing you don't like, that won't solve your problems
Thanks LS1Porch, I never though of that type of solution. I am ok with the gear ratios, is the strength of the box and axles that I want to improve. Do you have any link to this steel plate or cryo-trating?

Regards,
AL
Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cryo didnt do **** to save my 951 gearbox.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 PM
George D
Drifting

There are few choices for our cars in terms of transmissions. Some like the closer ratios of the S2 R&P, some like the longer ratios of the factory 5 speed. If you have the money, and like the powerband of a decent setup 951, the 968 box has factory gears available that allow higher speeds in the two top gears. Porsche did this with the 968TS, and there are a few vendors willing to sell you gears.

I've driven a S2 R&P car, a stock five speed, and a 968 box in a daily driven 3.0 with 400whp 15psi car with extensive mods to the suspension. I've got to give it to the stock 968 box and it's ratios when running fairly low boost and wanting to get up to boost fairly quickly. The factory 968 box shifts close to 4200rpm at redline in EACH gear. It's like riding a large displacement 2 stroke bike. Keep the power band in place, and you are moving.

We can spend as much as we want to get perfection in our old *** cars, but the six speed was money well spent for my particular car and my seat of the pants enjoyment.

Running out of gearing with this setup shouldn't take place on anything but a closed event. Getting to speed is more fun with closer ratios on a small displacement motor that likes to be on boost. My car has longer gearing than my old EVO with similar WHP at close to half the boost. Crusing at 85 at 3.5K is not a buzz kill in our cars...with a decent sound system.

What is your budget? This will answer many questions. I've blown a few 944/951 boxes. My old S box was just worn and couldn't take the power. I don't have enough time on the 968 box with a modded LSD to give you any insight in terms of it's longevity. It's still in the car and most of us 951 fans love my car and it's gearing, especially those that get to drive it!

G

highly modded 3.0.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 PM
George D
Drifting

I'll also state that there was a point leader 3.0 951 in SCCA that ran a six speed box for years without needing extensive repair. I believe that this same box from Cervelli's race car is in the body of a Rennlister with his motor running well.

Know that applying power to the wheels is done with help from a well engineered suspension. I'd rather drive a car with a thought out suspension under my *** fast, than a car with great gear ratios. Keeping a good line, putting power down and driving smooth is the real key to getting faster lap times.

Having an extra gear to pull out of your sleeve is helpful when you are making the little mistakes that slow your progress when out of the power of our little turbo motors.

G
Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
I have not driven my car since I put the '68 box in it. But I enjoyed the couple of 968's I've driven *shrug*

Totally forgot a couple of the Swedish(or are you guys in Finland?) guys were working on 996 boxes IIRC, anders44 right? I think they said they bolted up 3 out of 4 bolts on the torque tube but I dont remember if the input shaft on the trans connected up to the torque tube and I'm SURE they had to build custom mounts.

I saw photos awhile back of a 986 box custom mounted with cable shifter etc but don't know any of the details of that project or if it ever ran.
Mike I'm pretty sure Anders fitted a 986 box up and got 3 out of 4 bolts going.
The pics of the 986 box in situ was from the 951 Hybrid boards. Some guy did this with a V8 conversion. Not my first choice nor did I hear of the results.
I have a GT2 tranny converted to run in a 'flipped' position that I was intending to use on my trackcar but that's probably a bit excessive for the OP's useage.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Here you go:

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/T...0.asp?0e378a40

About halfway down, under "Jim Dinner". This is for an Audi box, they're almost identical from what i know though... Just to give you an idea.

P.S.--if anyone gets a bunch of these made, lemme know
Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 AM
AL951
Racer

Here you go:

About halfway down, under "Jim Dinner". This is for an Audi box, they're almost identical from what i know though... Just to give you an idea.

Thanks again LS1, I will look into this.

I also want to thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. I think I know what direction I am going to take with this project.

Now about the axles, does anyone knows of a stronger more durable axle?
Maybe a hybrid?

Regards,
AL
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
SprintStar
Instructor

Here you go:

Hey... Anyone ran a manual gearbox from a MKIV GTI or VR6? They are 6-speed? And definitely the VR6 is mounted longtitunal, so it might work?

Sprint.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorax
Going home?? You mean you drag race your 951 without a spare trans and tools with you?

What a n00b.
Ha ha ha, I always bring extra axles and a full toolbox when I autoX or do a mountain run. I havent dared launch hard yet...

Quick Reply: Trans options on the 951