Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Thanks John (Vitesse)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks John (Vitesse)

Well finally got my car back together, and Piggy Back , WBO2 display ,Turbo, AFM relector, and host of other items all calibrated Fri am. Drove to PCA DE event and was not planning on running the car as I had not had time to dial in the A/F. I as drove down I knew it was lean. I borrowed a friends car for the morning run. John had called once during the drivers meeting, so I could not pick up. Then called back soon after, to check on my A/F readings, as I told him I thought they were a tad lean. ((To clarify this is not his 27/6 or AFM kit, so he was real close, but on the track I did not want to take any chances, as I just had my HG let go at the last event.)) John had me make a couple changes to the enrichment settings to run rich for a safty margin untill we had time to finish tuning. Finished the morning and afternnon w/ no problems.

Wanted to thank John again for his dedicated support. I have no tuning experiernce and Johns patience is appreciated.

I can't wait to turn up the boost, with the PB

Steve
Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a very similar experience with John helping me over the phone while I was at an event and saving the day. He is top notch, as are his products. I will be upgrading to V-Flex.....
Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

I would be as well if the engine I just bought did not come running with a standalone already programmed for it
Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep, I don't currently, and have never used any Vitesse products but that service was top notch.

Z-man was lapping my '87 944T and was reluctant to run his own car because there were some lean spots in the data of a couple of light street pulls at 10-11 psi so when he got in touch w/John (on a Saturday) via cell call from the track to make a few changes towards the safety of a richer mix...., it took a load off my car that does it's fair share of double duty.

Nicely done......,

T
Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Steve,
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you drove your car on the track, I know you have been looking forward to it. Initially you were not running lean, at least not in the danger zone, so no need to worry.. With the unique configuration you are running, you are very close on target. A few key strokes will get it 100% on target. Once you email me a data log, we can make the changes quickly. It was a bit tough to communicate yesterday (difficult to hear over the 911 with open exhaust in the background).

Oh, and to be clear Steve was not running the Vitesse products when the headgasket let go at the last event.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:43 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

That is correct they were Guru chips I bought the car with. I had about 40k on the head gasket, which I presumed was weak, because I had been loosing a slight amt of coolant. At the track I felt a shutter, which I thought was a bad connection on a boost hose. Which has been a naging problem, hence my new hardpipe kit w/ t-bolts. When Terry (951and944s) who is the reason I have these cars, was tearing down the engine after the last event, noticed the Idle screw gone. It must have blown out and caused the fianl nail. The day before my rubber pipe from the turbo to the hardpipe had a 2 inch rip in it. Found a repacement in Terrys stash, Sat nite at 8pm. back on the track Sun, until the HG let go.

Terry, I know you pretty much stay in the racers forum, I have to give you top props for all the work on this car and the upcoming track car. Rennlist will be starting to see some pics of the start of you long awaited track project soon. My cars have been holding it back some. Have to revive the old thread, soon.

Steve
Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His over the phone "on the spot tuning" is kinda becoming stuff of legend around here. Seems everyone I talk to says the exact same thing.

Not that his stock tunes made for your car aren't great. Its seems to me a few key changes can make up the last 5-10% to perfection pretty easily and doing all of that on the spot over the phone is about as convenient as you can get. I once paid $125.00 an hour for tunning so to have this kinda of service for free is outstanding.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Without john help I'm sure I would have made 2x as many stupid expensive mistakes

As it is I've only make about 100 in the past 4 years
Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Terry send some more pics of the track car to me. Wish I'd known you guys were running the track this weekend I would have come down. I've got a couple of free passes worked up with the wife
Old 02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I spent yesterday in the passenger seat of a friend's turbo S with the laptop on my knees while he was lapping a local track and was quite impressed how easy tuning with the Vitesse software gets.
I am looking forward to fitting my recently purchased Vitesse equipment on my car.

PS : John, should the AFR read a specific figure at partial loads, or does only 11.8@WOT matter?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you everyone, very kind of you.

Thom, at idle you want to be in closed loop, around 14.5:1 AFR.
PT and light load: 13.5 - 14:1 AFR is fine.
Under boost up to 7psi: 12-12.5:1 AFR is fine (closer to 12:1 is better). Over 7psi: 11.5-11.8:1 is what I prefer.

The actual AFR under boost depends on other factors, use the above as a guide.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Oh, and to be clear Steve was not running the Vitesse products when the headgasket let go at the last event.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by DDP
Lot's of laughs from you.
Maybe you have something positive to contribute for once ,or are you following your friend TMS with a barrel full of nothing?
Its easy to be negative.

Let me do a search on your contributions.....
Old 02-23-2009, 12:34 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't group me with TMS or else I'll be forced to start my own thread asking if I should stay or go. lol.

I've helped more people on this forum then I can count. Whether it can be seen on Rennlist or not. I have nothing to prove. And I'm allowed to laugh at certain comments if I so please.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Well, let me be first in line to say that Johns products and service are nothing to laugh at.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Thanks John (Vitesse)