Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dropping engine, pulling crossmember question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is making me sad, too many made-up tools... reminds me of the balance shaft pin wrench I made from 2 5mm allen wrenches, a 13mm box end wrench, a 14mm box end wrench, 2 pairs of vise grips and a big long screwdriver. It worked perfectly to hold the balance shaft gear stationary while loosening the bolt.... let me see if I still have the picture of that contraption.

As for the OP, those are the nuts for the motor mounts. If you are dropping it all together, then leave them on. No its not in the instructions because it is supposed to be self-evident

I am dropping the motor out of my 951 this spring. My trick is to do it with the front wheels on, and control arms bolted to the crossmember, this lets you move it around a lot easier, and drop the whole thing as one piece.

I suppose if dedicated enough you could take off the lower brackets for the torque tube and the rear suspension and literally drop the whole drivetrain on the ground. Pretty simple that way too
Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
No its not in the instructions because it is supposed to be self-evident
lol maybe these things are written for people with a bit more experience than "hey cars seem fun" Nah I know I'm above my pay grade atm but hey you gotta start somewhere, right?

Originally Posted by Zero10
I suppose if dedicated enough you could take off the lower brackets for the torque tube and the rear suspension and literally drop the whole drivetrain on the ground. Pretty simple that way too
Actually, lol, that sounds a lot simpler.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 AM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WIN

Last edited by amirpc; 11-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amirpc
Actually, lol, that sounds a lot simpler.
Really it is, you unhook the fuel lines, some electrical, drop 2 brackets, 6-8 bolts for the rear suspension, 4 bolts for the crossmember and you have a full rolling drivetrain on the ground. Lots of people will do it this way, then lift the rest of the car off with a hoist, roll the entire powertrain out of the way and work on it separately. It looks pretty neat to do. When I start my LS1-944 project I plan to do it this way, because there is no horrible fight of getting the engine on/off the torque tube.

Quick Reply: Dropping engine, pulling crossmember question