Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I found this article very useful when I did mine: 944 Big Brake Instalation
Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
One thing I'm picking up here is most have used a power bleeder. My 86 has the stock MC, 5/33 bias valve, ATE blue, and big reds with good pedal pressure.

When I first intalled them they were mushy and it would lock-up too easily. I rebled them (motive bleeder) three or four times to no avail. On the last bleed, with the bleeder pressurized and the valves open, I pumped the pedal through the full range of motion a few times and the pedal stiffened up to the point where it's pretty close to stock.

Now if I can only stop it from squealing under light-moderate pedal pressure...........
Jeremy may have something on the bleeding process, mine have always been manually bled by having a friend pump the brakes. I do wind up with a firm pedal.

Jeremy, the squeal can be eliminated by changing pads, my pfc 01s squealed badly on light pedal, the pfc z-power (IIRC) street pads don't and still have strong stopping power.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rluciano
Same here. At first it didn't squeal at all. Then horrible squealing. Then had car aligned. Squeal went away. Now its back, but only at light-moderate pedal pressure.
Street pads and the vibration dampers on the brake pads will stop the squeal. With race pads on, they will squeal under light braking.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
944CS
Drifting

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/BIGREDS.html
Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Street pads and the vibration dampers on the brake pads will stop the squeal. With race pads on, they will squeal under light braking.

I have the porsche pad ant-squeal shims (all 8 of them) and am running a Hawk HP + pad. I've ran these pads for years with minimal noise until I fitted them in the big red. The rears are dead quiet.

I attribute the brake noise due to the fitment of the calipers on the spindle which leaves the pad ever so slightly exposed above the rotor. While braking into a turn, regardless of pressure, it get's pretty significant and I beleive based on the pad height any rotor deflection makes it worse.

I'm using the lindsey adaptor and 993TT rotors. Problem I've seen, on my 86, is the base the caliper, when using the lindsey adaptor, rides to high and the caliper actually touches the spindle caliper mounting ear, which I clearanced a bit to get somewhat of a flush fit.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:43 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm using the lindsey adaptor and 993TT rotors. Problem I've seen, on my 86, is the base the caliper, when using the lindsey adaptor, rides to high and the caliper actually touches the spindle caliper mounting ear, which I clearanced a bit to get somewhat of a flush fit.
are you talking about this?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
are you talking about this?

Yup, did yours do the same? If so, what was the solution?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 592 Posts

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou

LOL, same here. I was a bit nervous cutting that much material. Do your pads ride above the rotor at all? Mine are about 1mm or so above (down from 10).
Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first intalled them they were mushy and it would lock-up too easily. I rebled them (motive bleeder) three or four times to no avail. On the last bleed, with the bleeder pressurized and the valves open, I pumped the pedal through the full range of motion a few times and the pedal stiffened up to the point where it's pretty close to stock.

Now if I can only stop it from squealing under light-moderate pedal pressure...........
I was thinking there is air in the master behind some of the seals and what you did may have equated to a "bench bleeding." Some masters have a bleed valve on the master and ours do have a bolt and crush washer on the bottom. Has anyone messed with that bolt?

As for your squealing, that is the rust on your rotors.

How are the new digs?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azmi951
I was thinking there is air in the master behind some of the seals and what you did may have equated to a "bench bleeding." Some masters have a bleed valve on the master and ours do have a bolt and crush washer on the bottom. Has anyone messed with that bolt?

As for your squealing, that is the rust on your rotors.

How are the new digs?
Rust from a lack of use????? The new house is great (4 car garage + RV parking). An extra 2,000 sq/ft helps a bit. I've got a pretty nice guest set-up so next time your in town and need a place to crash it's yours.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I found this article very useful when I did mine: 944 Big Brake Instalation

I guess they liked what Dave wrote since they didn't change a word.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

If the brakes feel spongy or soft then the odds are that you have some air in the system. Proper bleeding should fix this. If the pedal travel is excessive and you have upgraded your brakes, then the odds are that you have an incorrectly sized master cylinder. Brakes are a highly engineered system - change one thing and it affects another. Going to larger calipers (with probably larger pistons or even more pistons) without a corresponding increase in master cylinder piston size will result in more pedal travel - just about guaranteed.

Short story: I had 911 Carrera brakes front and rear on my 914 /6 racecar and a 19 mm master cylinder. With new pads I would have full pedal travel but after a couple of track sessions the travel was excessive. Brake modulation was always good but too much travel when the pads had any wear.
I upgraded to Boxster front calipers and went to a 23 mm master cylinder. Now the brake pedal travel is always full no matter what the pad wear is, but brake modulation has changed a lot. Pedal always feels hard and more difficult to modulate. I've gotten used to it but ideally I should have a master cylinder piston size of about 21 mm. Wish I could find one for my application.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting some have problems with pad squeal also. My friends car squeals aswell, we used those adhesive backed antisqueal pads (4x on each caliper) that snap into the piston centers. I will double check and see if the pad sits over the rotor at all this weekend. We used RacersEdge adapters.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to add that using a power bleeder with mdoerate pressure (8-10psi) AND manually moving the pedals will achieve optimum purging of air from the lines.

Quick Reply: soft brake pedal with Big Reds