Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What's this stuff worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's this stuff worth?

I'm considering swapping out my Autothority MAF / chips, SPlitSecond fuel controller and 52lb Bosch injectors for the Vitesse set-up / V-flex.

Just curious what the stuff I have is worth. Looking to see if I can cover some of the costs.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Todays market is pretty bad. I'd say anywhere from $500-750.

Smart move going to Vitesse V-flex. You won't regret it.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its worthless, but I'll give you $50 just so its not taking up extra room.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

just sold my SFR maf and computer for $300.

if that give you any frame of reference.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Smart move going to Vitesse V-flex. You won't regret it.
Absolutely!!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kool
just sold my SFR maf and computer for $300.

if that give you any frame of reference.

I think my injectors are worth more than the MAF and Splitsecond combined.

Until the next post...
Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had an APE MAF setup for sale at $600 obo with no takers. It is hard to believe a $1700 part is worth less than 30% of its original value. The APE is a fine piece of hardware/software, but the VR is newer tech, so more blingy I guess.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cruise98
I have had an APE MAF setup for sale at $600 obo with no takers. It is hard to believe a $1700 part is worth less than 30% of its original value. The APE is a fine piece of hardware/software, but the VR is newer tech, so more blingy I guess.
Autothority stuff never brings what lindsey and vitesse stuff bring.

Of all the maf/chip makers Vitesse in my opinion is the best and others agree. Its why they command a premium over all the other Motronic setups. I see Lindsey keeping 60-65% of its original value and Vitesse keeping closer to 75-80% of its original value. All the other equipment struggles to keep up. Especially in this kind of market.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The APE is a fine piece of hardware/software, but the VR is newer tech, so more blingy I guess.
The APE is 'ok' at best. And the VR stuff is just more bling? Hardly! Read this thread, especially post # 318. John's EMS stuff is the best on the market, period. He has eletronics nailed down.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l-tool-22.html
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

autothority is not bad for something that requires no tuning. someone just mentioned this on another thread not to long ago and it's a good point. for someone not looking to get much more, but not looking to do a lot of tuning and at the prices the kits go for these days, when they go, it's not bad. the kit was $1700 over a decade ago when there wasn't really that much out there and the cars were newer. i wouldn't put it on the same playing field as vitesse or any of the other more modern systems though.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odb812
autothority is not bad for something that requires no tuning. someone just mentioned this on another thread not to long ago and it's a good point. for someone not looking to get much more, but not looking to do a lot of tuning and at the prices the kits go for these days, when they go, it's not bad. the kit was $1700 over a decade ago when there wasn't really that much out there and the cars were newer. i wouldn't put it on the same playing field as vitesse or any of the other more modern systems though.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Rob/Todd:

I have run both. They each have their pros and cons. Unless you have first hand knowledge of both products please do not make statements like this. You only perpetuate internet myths.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob/Todd:

I have run both. They each have their pros and cons. Unless you have first hand knowledge of both products please do not make statements like this. You only perpetuate internet myths.

Okay well I have run both as well as a huntley and SFR set-up over the last 10 years and the APE kit has many limitations. The AFR's still go lean when going with a decent WG and boost controller, the timing map is weak, and the just off throttle hesitation is still there. Also, without a piggyback, you can't swap out injectors or run decent HP and large injectors idle like a 70's BB chevy. Did I mention the APE does not support the application anymore and the meters max out much earlier then the current units? Outside of the low second, third and fourth resale price of the APE stuff, what are the pro's over the vitesse stuff?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Jeremy:

Finally some actual experience being posted. Thank you.

The APE's strength is that it is totally plug and play. It uses stock boost control, injectors and fuel pressure. If you change any of those things, you are risking breaking something. I ran one for 6-7 years and never had any problems with it blowing head gaskets.

The APE's weakness, or limitations, are really the same as it strengths in that you can only safely use the stock boost control, injectors, and fuel pressure. This is why I switched. I wanted to safely run different boost controls without risking blowing the thing up.

The VR and APE are totally different products and cater to different types of customers. In my opinion, the APE is perfect for the stock turboed daily driver that just needs to run smoothly and require no fussing with. Mine had a flat spot off idle, but so does my VR MAF. Unless you get custom chips, I do not think the APE is ideal for anything except a stock street car.

The VR MAF is for those of us who like to tinker with the cars. I have never had the discipline to leave it alone, and the VR MAF only encourages this behavior.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Jeremy:

Finally some actual experience being posted. Thank you.

The APE's strength is that it is totally plug and play. It uses stock boost control, injectors and fuel pressure. If you change any of those things, you are risking breaking something. I ran one for 6-7 years and never had any problems with it blowing head gaskets.

The APE's weakness, or limitations, are really the same as it strengths in that you can only safely use the stock boost control, injectors, and fuel pressure. This is why I switched. I wanted to safely run different boost controls without risking blowing the thing up.

The VR and APE are totally different products and cater to different types of customers. In my opinion, the APE is perfect for the stock turboed daily driver that just needs to run smoothly and require no fussing with. Mine had a flat spot off idle, but so does my VR MAF. Unless you get custom chips, I do not think the APE is ideal for anything except a stock street car.

The VR MAF is for those of us who like to tinker with the cars. I have never had the discipline to leave it alone, and the VR MAF only encourages this behavior.
If this is the case, then it's no wonder I'm having so many problems. Nothing on the car is stock anymore. 104mm over-bore, 52lb injectors, etc...

AEP said they made the chips to work with everything, but I beg to differ. I have all the same problems mentioned above.

Any body want a nice "plug-n-play MAF, chips, injectors and splitsecond fuel controller?

Quick Reply: What's this stuff worth?