Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

best battery for cold weather/sitting for longer periods

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 AM
bluto951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best battery for cold weather/sitting for longer periods

Hey all...I am pretty sure my best option here is the Optima yellow top right? If so, are there any fitment issues? It looks like it is a pretty tall battery.

Any other preferred options? Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 AM
dmalo810
Instructor

With exception of dry cells (optima), nearly all other lead cell batteries are made by the same company under different brands. Best thing for cold long winters is a trickle battery tender. Just hook to battery and it will trickle charge somewhere between .5A to 2A depending on brand keeps battery warm.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 AM
bluto951
Instructor

Wink

thanks but that's not really an option as the car is outside (and under cover). My current battery is not holding a charge well and I need to replace it so I am trying to select the best option given my situatioin...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

I would go opitima yellow top.. Not sure of the fitment though
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the Optima Red Top. It lasted 7 years here in the desert. I then went to a Marine Optima Blue Top. I have a nasty electical drain I can seem to find. It just went out after 5 years. They are the best. Every other battery I've ever had lasted less than the warranty and they woulnd't give me a warranty replacement since I'm in the desert. You just have to mount it on it's side. No big deal. DO NOT MOUNT IT STRAIGHT UP. It looks like it may clear but it won't. I watched someone else try to prove me wrong. Looked like the fourth of July under his hood. Here's my set up.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not just disconnect the battery? Or put a battery tender under the hood and just run a extension cord out to the car? Or keep the battery tender inside and run their extension cable out to the car? It doesn't matter what kind of battery you have if you have a key-off draw - it will always end up draining the battery if the car sits for extended periods of time.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
bluto951
Instructor

Originally Posted by CurtP
Why not just disconnect the battery? Or put a battery tender under the hood and just run a extension cord out to the car? Or keep the battery tender inside and run their extension cable out to the car? It doesn't matter what kind of battery you have if you have a key-off draw - it will always end up draining the battery if the car sits for extended periods of time.

Not sure why it's confusing...my current battery was old crappy and a was installed by the PO and is no longer holding a charge well. So if I upgrade to a battery like the yellow top a battery tender probably wont even be neccessary. Besides I do not like the idea of having an extension cord and battery tender plugged in and running outside my home for long periods...:-=) Perhaps disconnecting it in the future might be my best option. Either way, I still need to replace the current battery.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bluto951
Not sure why it's confusing...
Probably because you were vague on what you're trying to achieve. An Optima won't give you anything over a new Pb/acid with what you're trying to do. If you want an Optima, buy an Optima. Don't expect it to do any better if it gets drained and make sure you follow the proper recharge procedure if it does.

I'm partial to my $15 Interstate blem
Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 AM
windzy
Advanced

I have the same problem with my car in cold weather it never starts well and the battery will die pretty quick. rite now i just disconnect the battery and i dont get to drive it often any way cause of the weather but i was thinking of putting in a battery cut off switch. has anyone done this or have any opinions on doing so?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:56 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

if the alternator isn't charging at least upper 13's to low 14's when running, no batt will hold up.

95sl320 dd

Quick Reply: best battery for cold weather/sitting for longer periods