Compression/boost/piston design - turbo 2.5 16v

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compression/boost/piston design - turbo 2.5 16v

It's not really any secret that I am trying to build a turbo 2.5l 16v engine out of a 944S

Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to figure out all this on my own. So I am trying to get advice who know more about the subject.

So here is a list of issues with turbocharging the 944S motor.

1. Exhaust: Pretty easy fix... cut off flanges and rotate them then modify bolt holes to line up with xover pipe. At least I think that would work.

2. Intake: Weld a turbo intake onto an S2 intake flange/runners

3. Rods: Factory rods are cast, replace with forged turbo rods or other aftermarket

4. Compression: Here is the big one... 944S compression ratio is 10.9:1. If I went with an extra thick HG that would bring it down to around 10.5:1. Still pretty high.

I have been told that the 951 piston with the 944S head would be about 9.5:1, which is right where I want it to be. Can anyone verify that? The only issue is whether or not the pistons would clear. I have also been told that the design of the 951 piston is not optimal for the 16v combustion chamber, but that's ok with me.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME FOR SURE - Will the 951 pistons clear the valves of the 16v "S" head WITHOUT using shorter rods, or machining the pistons? I really don't want to use shorter rods.

On more question. Assuming I am running 20-23psi on the turbo compression, how can I calculate how much I would have to drop the boost to just use the stock 944S compression? I know it is also affected by the differences in the comustion chamber and etc, I only want a rough estimate.

Last edited by Lorax; 02-04-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Well for one you can't use an 8v piston with a 16v head so you'll have to get some custom pistons made I think. That will make life a lot easier as you can get them made to suit your intended c/r. Going with an extra thick h/g may not be the best solution, depending on how thick too.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and Google the word Quench. That will get you thinking about some of the important issues here. The 16v head has a better combustion chamber design than the 8v. You want to take full advantage of that, especially if you really want to run a 9.5:1 CR.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id talk to Chris White about getting some custom Wossner pistons. Theyre pretty affordable, and lightweight too.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Id talk to Chris White about getting some custom Wossner pistons. Theyre pretty affordable, and lightweight too.
and I have made up a few sets of the exact pistons you need! Design is already done.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
and I have made up a few sets of the exact pistons you need! Design is already done.
I was hoping you would chime in here.

So are you confirming that the 951 pistons will NOT clear the valves when used with the 16v?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

The cams / timing would have a bearing on this also. From what I've seen of the later Wossners they are cheap (in a good way), light, and very customizable.
What are you planning to use to control all this?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
Do yourself a favor and Google the word Quench. That will get you thinking about some of the important issues here. The 16v head has a better combustion chamber design than the 8v. You want to take full advantage of that, especially if you really want to run a 9.5:1 CR.
I understand, but I'm trying to pinch pennies here.

In the future custom 16v cams, pistons and lightweight rods are all dandy but for now I would like to be as resourceful as possible.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The cams / timing would have a bearing on this also. From what I've seen of the later Wossners they are cheap (in a good way), light, and very customizable.
What are you planning to use to control all this?
Hey, thanks for your replys.

This is not a track car or anything like that, it's simply a platform for me to experiment.

To get the most of the 16v head I really need custom cams and a turbo that is spec'd properly for the application, that is true.

My goal right now is to find the easiest possible way to assemble a 2.5L 16v engine. Once I get that performance baseline, I can begin improving it.

As far as EMS, I'm using vitesse vflex software with the smt6. Also going to be running his wasted spark ignition too.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lorax
I was hoping you would chime in here.

So are you confirming that the 951 pistons will NOT clear the valves when used with the 16v?
Nope....I am confirming that I use custom piston for the job.
16v engines are not usually the basis for a 'cheap' build! I can understand trying to make a build on a budget but using the incorrect piston design as the core is not a good way to go.
If budget precludes the custom pistons my recommendation would be to build a really nice 8v instead.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Nope....I am confirming that I use custom piston for the job.
16v engines are not usually the basis for a 'cheap' build! I can understand trying to make a build on a budget but using the incorrect piston design as the core is not a good way to go.
If budget precludes the custom pistons my recommendation would be to build a really nice 8v instead.
It' not that I can't afford them.... you have a PM
Old 02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Since you are shooting for the 16v project there is another plus for the Wossners –
They are over 100g lighter than the stock 951 pistons. If you are doing a 16v engine it means that you will need to run the rpms up more. An 8v engine will work better up to about 4krpm and then the 16v will perform better – so if you want to take advantage of the 16v head plan to run at a higher rpm range – where piston weight is an issue!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Since you are shooting for the 16v project there is another plus for the Wossners –
They are over 100g lighter than the stock 951 pistons. If you are doing a 16v engine it means that you will need to run the rpms up more. An 8v engine will work better up to about 4krpm and then the 16v will perform better – so if you want to take advantage of the 16v head plan to run at a higher rpm range – where piston weight is an issue!
That's another on of the reasons I want to use higher compression... Hopefully I will keep more low end with the 16v that way. Also Will allow me to stretch my smaller turbo out a bit more into the rpm range since I will be running less boost. Is that correct? And of course it will spool quicker with the higher compression.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ryan, you should see if you can contact Mike (MPD47) as he has a very similar build, at least I think so. Maybe he will grace us by poping by.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Ryan, you should see if you can contact Mike (MPD47) as he has a very similar build, at least I think so. Maybe he will grace us by poping by.

Mike?? That dude doesn't know anything....

He drives around in a chopped up car with an N/A motor and talks about having another turbo motor someday... I think we all know that is BS.

Quick Reply: Compression/boost/piston design - turbo 2.5 16v