Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

need to fix some minor fire damage AOS needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need to fix some minor fire damage AOS needed

I had a small fire at the track today and I'm very glad I carry a 2 liter foam extinguisher.

My car died on track and the tach went to 0 without warning. I coast to a stop off the track and asses the situation. As I'm sitting there for a few seconds I see a whisp of smoke so I grab my extinguisher, pop the hood and jump out. As I'm running to the front of the car I see some more smoke coming from between the fender and hood. I get the hood open to see a small amount of flames back by the oil cap. I hit it with the extinguisher and almost everything is put out fast. I empty the extinguisher onto the back of the engine and just as it is running out Collin ( Ausig..ba.... whatever his user name is) stops with his brand new Ansul clean guard extinguisher (the replacement for Halon) out and ready. I take a look and there is just a tiny bit of flames on the up pipe by the AOS so I hit it with the clean guard and it is all out.

I did get a few lungs full of foam extinguisher steam that made me fell like **** for about an hour. A little water and a PB+J sandwich made me feel better. The damage to the car looks to be limited to an AOS, both position and reference sensors had their harness burned which caused the engine to die.

The fire started because the exhaust had melted a hole in the AOS which then poured oil onto the up and down pipe. I had to remove the steel heat shield from the AOS to fit the 3" down pipe but had covered the area in foil backed fiberglass and wrapped the exhaust in that area. I guess that was not enough insulation. The AOS is burnt the worst but none of the hoses in the area are burnt and there is just a little bit of soot on the underside of the hood. Minimal damage for an oil fire with o damage to the main engine harness.

I got lucky in that the fire burned the reference and position sensors first which killed the engine and alerted me to a problem very quickly.

I also feel lucky because this could have been way worse. For years I have fielded questions from passengers about a fire extinguisher bolted to the passenger seat and I have preached to people that an extinguisher is a great thing to have in your car if you like your car. I never expected to use it but I'm glad I was prepared.

So I need to buy a new AOS. Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks Collin, I will refill yours and mine.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:52 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Close one but glad to here it isn't bad! I have nightmares about my 951 and flames.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

always the nightmare with these cars
Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to here about this.
I too am always asked ,is it really nessesary to have an extinguisher mounted to your passenger seat,
About three years ago at the track i had a coolant hose at the back of the engine go. It started a fire on the headers. I was very lucky I had the extinguisher that day.

I have an AOS I also have almost new speed and ref sensors
if your interested.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM
azmi951
Drifting

pm sent.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your incident, but very glad that you and your 951 made it out allright.

+1 for always having at least one extinguisher within reach.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry about that, but great that you caught it in time. I have a 968 AOS on ebay right now -- brand new never used -- with no bids and it is ending today. It does not have the little vent port going to the turbo mount, so if you are running that, this one won't work for you.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:06 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

+1 For preparedness. Yay Sean.

Aside from the damage (which is easily fixable), the worst part was that this all happened at 10:30 in the morning -- which means Sean's day was ended waaaay too soon.

Let me know if/when you wanna drive my car again -- she's all yours mate.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Close one Sean, glad to hear that it wasn't any worse than it was. Does that heat shield normally have to be left off with a 3" downpipe, or does your turbo position it closer to the AOS than stock?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Tom, thanks for the offer but I do need the turbo AOS for that vent pipe.

Collin, yes it is true, it all ended way too soon in the day so my mission of finishing off the hard rear tires was not a successful one. Although I think we both learned that bigger turbos/higher power on our cars means you NEED race pads or your brakes will fail no matter the amount of ducting you have.

Kevin, I had to remove that shield with the 3" down pipe even with the 26/6. Since the GT30 has the same location of exhaust the position of the pipe did not change with the new turbo. This setup has been to about 8 track days with no problems so I dont know why it failed this time.

Pictures to follow once I get it apart.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

Sean, that sucks! Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Oh, and I think I have AOS or two if you're still in need.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 PM
George D
Drifting

Sean and Colin,

When my valve cover gasket went AGAIN, I pulled into my garage, opened the hood and flames were coming from my headers. Pulled out my extinguisher bolted onto my rollbar and one squirt and all flames were out.

These cars are HOT and ready to burn. I have my SFR stage II headers ceramic coated, but it still produced flames from oil without being on boost. It's hard to get oil to catch on fire......it has to be really HOT to produce flames.

The factory headers have stainless around them for a reason..............

Glad to hear that nothing serious happened.

G

Quick Reply: need to fix some minor fire damage AOS needed