Hatch Reseal Musings

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hatch Reseal Musings

Just a few thoughts and questions...
I replaced my hatch and hood struts, they now work very well, maybe too good in fact...Now I can clearly see why the hatch was squeaky, it is 50%+/- Delaminated... Fix one thing break another... I love my P-cars...

Has anyone fixed this issue (hatch delam) without totally removing and tearing apart the hatch?

How many of you out there have broken the hatch glass when trying to reseal the hatch?

How long should I allow myself to reseal the hatch if I do it myself?

Is there any shops someone is willing to recommend to do the reseal for me in central or northern VA? In a few weeks I should have her completely sorted out, and can drive to just about anywhere...

Ideas?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Just a few thoughts and questions...
I replaced my hatch and hood struts, they now work very well, maybe too good in fact...Now I can clearly see why the hatch was squeaky, it is 50%+/- Delaminated... Fix one thing break another... I love my P-cars...

Has anyone fixed this issue (hatch delam) without totally removing and tearing apart the hatch?

How many of you out there have broken the hatch glass when trying to reseal the hatch?

How long should I allow myself to reseal the hatch if I do it myself?

Is there any shops someone is willing to recommend to do the reseal for me in central or northern VA? In a few weeks I should have her completely sorted out, and can drive to just about anywhere...

Ideas?

Delam?

Try firing 2- SoloBaric L7's with 1500/1 mono amp into that rear glass for days on end.

Now that is delamination!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
Delam?

Try firing 2- SoloBaric L7's with 1500/1 mono amp into that rear glass for days on end.

Now that is delamination!
I can almost pass a screwdriver in between the glass and the frame....The font edge of the glass is clear of the frame, lift up and there is a huge gap between the two....
Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had a slight amount of delamination near the top. About 1-2 inches long. I used a clear silicon gel to fill it up. Since then I have had no additional delamination happening or water entering.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Without a reseal, all patches are temporary.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Without a reseal, all patches are temporary.
I am thinking I will be heading out tomorrow morning, to find the 3M window welt urethane sealant, and begin tearing the hatch apart, I had been planning on putting the WP and TB on my 88N/A but my coolant is in shipping limbo for the time being, expect it to be delivered this week, so maybe do the hatch reseal and leave the WP until I can knock out everything at one time...

I will make sure to take pics and post a thread on the hatch reseal....unless I break the glass then my thread will be WTB new hatch...
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did four, broke one. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Did four, broke one. Good luck.
I guess based on that I could say I have a 25% chance of destroying the hatch, but a 75% chance of fixing it....Not great but better than craps...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

I need to do this. Either that or pay out the nose for a new one. Wasnt there a write up on RL somewhere about this?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tone3721
I need to do this. Either that or pay out the nose for a new one. Wasnt there a write up on RL somewhere about this?
There are writeups out there, google hatch reseal our hatches pop up in several forums all over the net... Funny how many hatchbacks are out there, but the most populous wite up for fixes is ours... Hmmm makes one think....
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,
Are you doing the weather seal also (between the hatch and the car)?
Old 01-31-2009, 02:47 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny this should come up today. Was reading the new Excellence last night, and this month has the 924/44/51/68 Market Report.

They actually say 'if you break the rear glass it will cost more than the car to replace'. While that is likely true if you call the dealer, I have seen probably a hundred hatches being practically given away on the internet. I know one guy locally who offered me 3 free if I would just take them. And I already have 3.

To me the reseal is mostly a PITA. I know that if I were to break it that there are a hundred hatches around to retry it. Funny that if you read Excellence and didn't know better, you might get scared away. But if you have the internet... everything is available for these cars in a relatively affordable fashion.

Good luck on the reseal!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

been there, done that... do it right, its a pain, but worth doing. Take your time separating the hatch, and use the right chemicals and for GODS sake, DON'T use silicon!!!!!

Do a search, Karl (PorscheDoc) and I have done a number of these. Karl posted a very nice write up on the proper way to reseal a hatch. One KCWS member has a freshly resealed hatch for sale for $400, altho he doesn't want to deal with shipping it.

Regards,

Last edited by User 41221; 02-02-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
John,
Are you doing the weather seal also (between the hatch and the car)?
I believe it is in one of my boxes currently in route (I have approx 3K in shippment rihgt now, If I forgot to order it, I will have one next week)... In fact the last part I ordered was a new shift ****, ordered it by itself, USPS delivered it today (ordered from Pelican Thursday night) Everything else is FedEx and UPS, should all be here by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest...

Well, I have just about gotten the glass off the frame, OMG the sealant alone is enough reason to do this once and only once... And so far I haven't broken the glass (knock on wood) but I did put a 4" gash in the back of my right hand with a sharpened putty knife... Should know to be more careful but if I haven't learnt that in 34 years am I realy about to start now?

Almost there, and then it is time to MEK and wire wheel the frame and get it back on the car to take advantage of the nice weather tomorrow, and have it sealed just in time for the rain Monday night... As of right now I am guessing I have about 5hrs into it, and just have 24 inches or so of sealant left to hack my way through... Should be able to finish it up completely tomorrow no problem...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I believe it is in one of my boxes currently in route (I have approx 3K in shippment rihgt now, If I forgot to order it, I will have one next week)... In fact the last part I ordered was a new shift ****, ordered it by itself, USPS delivered it today (ordered from Pelican Thursday night) Everything else is FedEx and UPS, should all be here by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest...

Well, I have just about gotten the glass off the frame, OMG the sealant alone is enough reason to do this once and only once... And so far I haven't broken the glass (knock on wood) but I did put a 4" gash in the back of my right hand with a sharpened putty knife... Should know to be more careful but if I haven't learnt that in 34 years am I realy about to start now?

Almost there, and then it is time to MEK and wire wheel the frame and get it back on the car to take advantage of the nice weather tomorrow, and have it sealed just in time for the rain Monday night... As of right now I am guessing I have about 5hrs into it, and just have 24 inches or so of sealant left to hack my way through... Should be able to finish it up completely tomorrow no problem...
I hope you have photographed this ordeal and will do a complete write up including chemicals. This is on my to do list for this spring.

Quick Reply: Hatch Reseal Musings