stripping and painting the interior - couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts
Default stripping and painting the interior - couple questions

I have just about finished stripping my interior. Got all the tar mats off with a propane torch and pry bar - found that by heating an area (not burning it) to the point of just blistering the mat, a pry bar could easily wedge up sections of the mat with relative ease. I then soaked some towels with Goof-Off and layed them over the residual adhesive for about an hour. I was very liberal with the Goof-Off and almost everything dissolved and was easily wiped away.

At this point I want to primer and paint the interior a light gray, silver, or white. I was wondering if anyone preferred any particular primer or if Bulldog was necessary? Also has anyone painted the interior with a roller instead of by aerosol/air gun? I was considering using the Rustoleum Professional Enamel primer and paint with a hand roller

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=158
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=130
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine by just spraying straight onto the ols surface with no primer. Taped off and used a couple of cans of wheel paint followed with a layer of clear top coat. 8 months on it is wearing very well and still looks like new. I did put down some heel pads to protect the front floor area which also helps
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have asked me! dry ice is magic. Done it with zero removal effort.

I'm painting light grey. but using spray can paint remover. not as harsh as brush on. wipe off stuff. It leaves a rough surface for the new paint to bite into.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I brushed and rolled the interior of my track car with rustoleum (white). Looked great at the time but after 1 year there are some areas that are peeling off. Might have just been bad prep because the roll bar still looks great. For the drivers footwell, I added a bit of sand to give it a rough texture to prevent slipping when I get in and our on wet days.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prep and cleanliness are key to a white interior staying put. A nice HVLP gun, with some plastic, paper and tape can yield a nice job even in a garage or outside.

Quick Reply: stripping and painting the interior - couple questions