Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for a SoCal transmission shop for Guard TBD - open differential swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Looking for a SoCal transmission shop for Guard TBD - open differential swap

Need recommendations for Southern California (preferably Orange County) transmission shops to swap a Guard Transmission's torque-biasing differential for an open differential in a 1987 951. From the shop manual, it appears there are numerous tools and special gages necessary to do the swap right.

Last edited by slips2; 01-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ain't cheap, but it's done right.

Precision Motorwerks

Where Precision Creates Performance

office (714) 879-9072
fax (714) 526-6002
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gpr8er

Precision Motorwerks
gpr8er, Thanks for the lead.

I just realized an article on the Guard Transmission website was written by Mr. Brown at Precision Motorwerks:

Click here for the complete article, The Limited Slip Differential, from Velocity, 2/2001.

Looks like Mr. Brown doesn't think too highly of TBDs, so I wonder if he will have a "problem" installing one ...

"The last differential that we need to consider is the aftermarket "torque biasing" style. This style differential relies on multiple helix cut gears that are forced outward onto the housing of the differential when tire spin begins to occur. These differentials function almost totally as an open differential while off throttle, which makes them vastly inferior to a limited slip differential, as you will see. I have always considered this style differential to have very limited usefulness on a race course, so I will not spend time discussing them."
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slips2
gpr8er,

Looks like Mr. Brown doesn't think too highly of TBDs, so I wonder if he will have a "problem" installing one ...

."
Very likely...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Why are you installing it? Do you intend to do DE or track work? Or Auto X? Each one has it's advantages for different uses.
California Motorsports are also very good with trannys, but for some reason I'm not so sure they're in California?? I've used their services before, but via long distance so excuse my lack of knowledge on their whereabouts.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:42 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slips2
gpr8er, Thanks for the lead.

I just realized an article on the Guard Transmission website was written by Mr. Brown at Precision Motorwerks:

Click here for the complete article, The Limited Slip Differential, from Velocity, 2/2001.

"The last differential that we need to consider is the aftermarket "torque biasing" style. This style differential relies on multiple helix cut gears that are forced outward onto the housing of the differential when tire spin begins to occur. These differentials function almost totally as an open differential while off throttle, which makes them vastly inferior to a limited slip differential, as you will see. I have always considered this style differential to have very limited usefulness on a race course, so I will not spend time discussing them."
He put a Quaife in my trans. Replaced all the syncros and a couple of gears. He knows the sheet. If you decide to go with him ask to see the Fabcar GTR in the back room. Amazing! A virgin handbuilt vintage car that's of only 10 ever made.

Quick Reply: Looking for a SoCal transmission shop for Guard TBD - open differential swap