Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pop - and then no movement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009 | 07:52 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pop - and then no movement

So much for making this a daily driver for the next few months. Just took the 951 out today for a quick drive, got about a block away, shifted into second gear, let out the clutch, and POP, and then the car wouldn't go anywhere. The engine is fine. There are no strange noises from anywhere when trying to make it go. The clutch feels normal when trying to engage and disengage. Nothing is hanging down, and the CV joints don't 'appear' from the outside to have a problem. I can shift through all of the gears and they're definitely engaging and feel fine. I guess I'll have to get it home and open the inspection hole by the transmission to see if the torque tube is spinning.

Anyone have this happen, if so, what was it? I'm really hoping it's just something inside the CV joints. Hell, I may have even had one broken CV joint this whole time and not known it, and maybe now the second one popped. I've always wondered how I've been able to hear a tire spin, and I have an LSD and haven't ever been able to make both wheels spin simultaneously when I have it up on jack stands and turn one rear wheel. How ironic that I've put it through all this track use and now it does this on a simple shift to second under very low power.
Old 01-18-2009 | 09:08 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the car in the garage and found the culprit - the driver's side axle is not connected to the trans anymore. Looks like three of the bolts backed themselves out, and the remaining two snapped. It's just my luck that I have a full set of CV joint bolts I had ordered about three months ago because I had planned to replace all of the boots and all of the bolts. Never got around to it, but I'll have to now.

Quick Reply: Pop - and then no movement