Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Heater problem in 86 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
charles earman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Heater problem in 86 944 Turbo

I need help figuring this one out. First off, my engine was completely out for a rebuild and all the wires in the main harness were unplugged, including all the wires that route down to the heater panel in the passenger footwell, above the computers. Also assume any and all vaccum hoses in the engine compartment were also unhooked. The problem is now I have real erratic heat. If I push the defroster button in, I get decent heat. The fan blower motor comes on full blast with the defrost button in, regardless of the position of the blower motor switch. I also get very little air coming into the footwells. I may have a separate problem with the thermostat, in that the engine temperature seems to run between normal ,and the needle all the way south. I can be driving along with decent heat coming to the middle air duct, and the defroster outlets, and push the defroster button off, and the air will almost instantly turn cold, even with the heater temp control dial all the way hot (clockwise). Before the engine rebuild, the heater worked perfectly, and quickly. I have bled the air out of the radiator via the nut on top of the engine. I am assuming some of the wires in the passenger footwell are plugged into the wrong spots and that maybe a vaccum line is somehow hooked into the wrong spot, or not hooked up right. I hope I can resolve this problem without spending a $1000 at a dealership. The mechanics I have access to are not real keen on this type of problem. The car does not use antifreeze and never runs hot.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

I pulled out my heater, since my car is a track car. If I remember correctly, each electrical connection to the climate control unit is unique and cannot be swapped with another. Most likely, the vacuum lines were connected incorrectly.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:55 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

How cool does it run you said south of normal ?? Does that happen to be under first thin white line ? and are you runing a high flow radiator in there with a cooler running thermostat by chance?.... in the winter those few things with keep it just cool enough to where you just don't have the heat to give. Also if you set in traffic or let it warm up a bit do you have heat for just a few moments as you pull away?

costas

Quick Reply: Heater problem in 86 944 Turbo