Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

bypass factory O2

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009 | 12:56 PM
turboted
Racer

Default bypass factory O2

I'm sure it's been done, and probably well-documented...my searching skills are for ****. How hard is it to splice my wideband O2 directly to the factory harness in order to bypass the factory O2 sensor? Anybody got a write up on this? TIA.
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:04 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

I have hooked up the narrowband output of my LC-1 to the Input of the DME. You can't just wire the 02 sensor it has the wrong output and either 4 or 5 wires, while the stock 02 has 3 wires. As far as I know the wideband sensor should be located after the turbo and the stock one is located in the crossover, before the Turbo.
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:33 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your wideband sensor has a narrowband output, can you connect the narrowband to the ECU directly to that and send the wideband signal to a WBO2?

-Joel.
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:38 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
If your wideband sensor has a narrowband output, can you connect the narrowband to the ECU directly to that and send the wideband signal to a WBO2?

-Joel.
If your WBO2 has a narrowband simulated output then you can use that in place of the factory O2.

-Rogue
Old 01-05-2009 | 02:41 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

As they said, you can't just wire a wideband in place of a narrowband sensor. A narrowband sensor puts out 0-1v, while a wideband does 0-5v, so they are not interchangable.
Old 01-05-2009 | 03:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought some WBO2 sensors had 5-6 wires and packaged a narrowband and wideband sensor in the same housing:

http://wbo2.com/lsu/lsuworks.htm

If the WBO2 gauge/box/datalogger/whatever needs both signals for itself maybe you cannot just run the narrowband to the ECU and the wideband to the gauge. Otherwise one could wire the car up as stock with a LSU sensor in the bung and the factory harness to the wires for the heat and narrowband signal, and run the wideband outputs into the cabin. Then you could just connect to the wideband output for tuning when needed.

From that web page I could not be sure if the narrowband signal would be reliable with the WBO2 hooked up. It would be nice to have the option to leave the WB sensor in place and not always have to have a device outputting the NB signal for the ECU, like if you have several cars and would like to be able to hook up a WB meter in any one of them when the mood strikes you without having to swap sensors and fool with the wiring.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: bypass factory O2