Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Timing belt and water pump maintenence update

I thought this might be a worthwile update for the archives:

I took my 951 apart for timing belt and water pump service. The Water pump is about 8 years old ~60k miles, and had recently started making some noise. The bearing was definitely starting to go, and makes noise when spun by hand.

The belts were Conti, and were 3 years old / 15k miles with one retension at 1k. The balance belt was in fine condition, but the cam belt was starting to look a little limp. Some of the fiberglas strands were starting to show through on the toothed side. All the rollers were in good shape, and all but the main belt tensioner were replaced 15k ago. I didn't mean to run the timing belt tensioner for 75k miles, but they were out of stock at the time and I needed to take car on a trip. Honestly the 75k mile tensioner roller is still fine, and though I'm not going to, could probably be reused.

I don't know... maybe no one cares about this stuff, but I thought it might be useful for anyone who is replacing their belts every winter regardless of miles. I know there are a couple of you out there
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks this was helpful to me. I'm looking to do a waterpump replace and update late style, rollars, tensioner and balance shaft belt.

Quick Reply: Timing belt and water pump maintenence update