Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

sometimes, you gotta walk away...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 AM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sometimes, you gotta walk away...

It's been nearly a year since my last post. For those of you who remember, I bit off more than I could chew and my project spiraled out of control last December. After months of hard work, I threw in the towell and walked away. As painful as it was for me to admit defeat...it was my only real option at the time.

Here's a link to my last post...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=51048

I ignored the car and the project (collecting dust in my garage) for the better part of 8 months. Then in August, I finally broke down and took the car to a mechanic who diagnosed the cause of my low oil pressure (after days of testing/troubleshooting). Earlier in my rebuild, I decided to replace the balance shaft bearings (while I was in there) and accidentally installed the wrong sized bearing shells (too big) during re-assembly. This caused my oil pressure to **** out all over the balance shafts...but it was only leaking badly enough to notice under idle. Turns out Porsche switched to different sized shafts/bearings half way through production and my dealer sold me the wrong parts. But admitedly, I'm the idiot who installed the wrong parts. Leave it to me to make such an ameteur mistake! In my defense (if I have one to claim at all) I blame the mistake on the time lapse between tear down and rebuild...I should have double checked ALL part numbers. This must be what they mean when they say...'live and learn.'

Anyway...wanted to let the group know that I'm back on the road again. At least...sort of. The car is running again with good oil pressure. But I have a few new issues to sort out, including wandering AFR at idle and poot boost control. So, I'll post again soon (I'm sure). In the meantime, happy new year!!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always glad to hear a car is back up on the road. Best of luck sorting out the AFR issues. When was the last time the stock O2 sensor was changed out? Have you pressurized the intake to check for leaks?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
DanR
Drifting

slowly slowly catchi monkey, patience can be a virtue.

well done!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Welcome back!

We have all been there. Plenty of times I wanted to drive mine right off a cliff!!! lol
Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome...glad to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel and you're back on the road. Having just gone through an extensive year long rebuild myself with some problematic symptoms, I'm hoping for the same result.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

After reading your entire previous thread, and the end of your first post here i thought you were selling the car (giving up) it was nice to read you got it on the road.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That's great news! I'm glad the mechanic was able to figure it out and fix it without too much hassle.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

willing to swap hearbreak stories
busted cam belt 30 hrs after getting the car
The dear old guy that lent be half the cash for a car i couldn't afford died before i was able to go interstate to show him the car .
some one clonned the car in to 2 other cars My car the victem is now unable to be registered with out a 15k legal battle
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ted... I re-read your earlier thread. You got some pretty good support and advice there. Its just one of those weird things that none of us have bumped into before. Looking back, (with my fabulous hindsight) the oil spray around the belts, I guess, should have been a clue to follow-up on. I wonder if your wrench could feel slop in the balance shafts?
The other thing you touched on is right too -we take these puppies apart on Monday, wait sometimes 2 weeks to 2 months for parts and then miss little re-assembly details just because of foggy memory and the time lapse. Good to see you back...Bruce
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Ted... I re-read your earlier thread. You got some pretty good support and advice there. Its just one of those weird things that none of us have bumped into before.
This was definitely not an experience about which I was proud to be a 'pioneer.' These cars never cease to amaze me...nor does my ability to make a dumb mistake. Having said that, the ONLY reason I didn't push the car off a cliff was because of the support, advice, and assistance I received here on Rennlist. I owe a big thanks to all who read my posts, sympathized, and offered suggestions and advice. I wouldn't be a Porsche owner today without the support of this forum.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Acetylene
Pro

I am glad tohear that the problem is solved and that you are back in the game. Welcome back!!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Great news man.... Now where are the pictures?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

It's great to have you back, I'm sure the car will end up being even better than before.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:31 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Blood. Sweat and Tears. I love reading the happy ending.

Quick Reply: sometimes, you gotta walk away...