Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So does this look like a stock K26/6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So does this look like a stock K26/6?

Finally took the downpipe off the K26/6 and also pulled the compressor cover off. Im curious for those of you familiar with these, does this look like a stock K26 compressor wheel? I am just wondering because this turbo was rebuilt a couple years ago (prior to me buying the car) and the invoice says 'turbo upgraded to 'S' spec'. So i was thinking they put a #8 hotside on it, but after closer examination i found that wasnt the case prior to the purchase of the car (made no difference to me). While i had the j-boot off a few months ago, someone mentioned it did not look like a stock K26 compressor wheel.

So im wondering, is this different in any way from a stock compressor? I am guessing it could be a 'cheater' turbo which i understand requires machining the compressor cover slightly. I do see some machining marks on the inside of the compressor cover, but not sure if they are enough to come to a conclusion.

Other than that, there is no detectable shaftplay in the turbo at all on either end, however it is starting to blow a little oil at times, mostly when its sitting at idle. I was actually happy to see some oil had pooled into the hotside housing after about 2 weeks of sitting on the side..so that sorta confirms the hotside seals are shot.

Yes i know, there are 3 slightly tweaked blades.

And the other thing im wondering, with this #6 hotside, is it normal to have so much clearance between the hotside housing and the blades on the impeller?

Its hard to tell from this picture, but i can stick a .038 feeler gauge (largest i have) inbetween the housing and the blade tip. Granted its not in all the way because the curved housing, but you get the idea. I ask because in comparing this too the 60-1 with #8 hotside the clearance is much tighter.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you lay the tape one edge across the centre we can get a better idea but from mamory the small dia of the comp. is 44mm that buff job looks rough as barbed wire underpants. loose is fast.... that big clearence is common in KKks i still don't call it normal
Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks like the compressor housing is hogged out. There should be a small step there, and it looks like it was ground smooth to open up the inlet a bit. Might just be the wierd angle of the pictures. I have a couple of K26/6's disassembled at home, but won't be back until monday.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:40 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled the 26/6 off my '87 and my hotside has the same gap that yours does.

Quick Reply: So does this look like a stock K26/6?