Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

stupid question.... lifts.. jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
JimO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question.... lifts.. jackstands

Ok.. I know it's dumb---ed and I'm the first to tell you I'm a rookie.... I'm about to get under the car for the first time (potentially) to take care of a few things:

- wastegate replacement
- O2 sensor replacement (I think I have to be below the car)

Are you guys able to effectively make repairs with the cars on jackstands? i.e. will I have enough room to make repairs? Or are most people using lifts?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

O2 sensor must be done below the car. I was able to do both of these things with the car on ramps, jackstands will work just as well, if not better because you can get the car higher in the air. For the wastegate, jackstands or ramps both have downsides.

Ramps will not get that end of the car high enough in the air..there is still enough space to move around if your a slim guy, but can be difficult if you have a bigger frame.

With the car on jackstands, if you support right under the frame rail you need to sorta work around it making things kind of annoying. The alternative is to put the jackstand under the crossmember which i do on occasion.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:46 PM
JimO
Advanced

Default Thanks

Thanks Techno Duck
Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You can accomplish a lot with a jack and jack stands, trust me...

Old 12-20-2008, 11:21 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I have worked on all my 944's with jack stands. That includes clutch jobs, engine removal, and simple maintenance. The key is to set the car for what the task at hand is. To pull a motor out the bottom you need 22" at the front lip; to drop a trans on a jack trans adapter you need 24". All of the rest requires less. I always check the stability of any jack stand set-up by pushing the car from every direction before going under it. FYI the Harbor Freight 6-ton jacks will get you 24" and more. I would love to post a pic of jack stand placement but that function is down again. I lost my backup short cut I use when IB can't seem to get there $hit together and fix a common upload problem that happens way too often here.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

i use a lift !
Old 12-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The only additions i would make to this picture are jackstand points for the rear right under the torsion tube assembly.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:30 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

If you have a lift at your disposal use it! I've used jack stands and a lift depending on what I'm doing. Jack stand might be a nuisance to work around while replacing your wastegate so I'd go with the lift if you've got it.

Quick Reply: stupid question.... lifts.. jackstands