Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

This noise "knocking" is driving me nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had a knock coming from the engine, due to something wrong, I would figure t would have a frequency equal to engine speed. Also, I cannot think it would go away.

Issues like these can drive you nuts. First thing is to approach this logically. Separate the engine from the Drive train and the chassis. Drive the car at the speeds you hear the noise and record what the engine revs are. Now free rev the engine thro these revs. Listen for the noise. If no noise is heard, you can almost discount any engine issue. I'm no expert, but cannot think of anything in the engine that would knock only under load and for a small rev band only. Now find a steep hill and redo the running test without the engine running. If it's Clutch you can coast in gear and out of gear. If it's not Clutch then it could be in the brake "knock off" Axles CV joints etc. At least this way you have eliminated areas of concern. If you drive real close to the road kerb, the sound will bounce off and become more audible.
How about mounting a knock sensor on the Transmission and use a Knock Link from PD. If something is going on there the sensor will activate the light.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A knock sensor only works at a certain frequency range consistent with detonation, but thats a great idea otherwise.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:30 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a god point, although the Knocklink will activate the light if the sensor is tapped. It could be tested to see if the knocking would light the light. I have no idea how it could be mounted though.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM
FRANCOCORPS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lee101315 can u give the info on how to check and replace rod bearing on the engine without taking out the engine? I have a diesel noise coming from my block.
Please Help I have a clanking noise from my engine and it sounds like a diesel engine, the timing belt does rotate and so does the balance shaft belts, When I take out the spark plugs all cylinders push air through, the crank turns pretty easily with all spark plugs pulled and it will turn also when i spin the crank pulley with a wrench,

Quick Reply: This noise "knocking" is driving me nuts...