Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

non power to power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008 | 07:33 PM
aussiebj
Racer

Default non power to power steering question

Here is my question...I have an 87 944 Turbo street/track car probably more track orientated it has a manual steering setup installed on it right now and i want to go with larger front tires, presently 225 want to go to 245 how good is the feel of the porsche power steering setup in feed back as compared to the manual setup?...I love the manual set but after 4 to 5 ....30 min track sessions a day it is a killer on the arms and hands ,on the street paking is a wok out as well ..what is the general consences on what is better power steering or manual ..thanks for the input....
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:34 PM
aussiebj
Racer

this is a xpost from the racing de section they thought someone over here might have a setup for sale.Thanks for any info as well
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:55 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

It is really per the user on which is better. I have had both in the past, and loved the input and feel of the manual setup, but eventually opted for the ease of the power set b/c of everyday drivability. I have a leak free rack and pump available that I would be interested in trading. PM me for details.
Old 11-04-2008 | 11:41 PM
aussiebj
Racer

caster i am definatly interested how much of the ps setup do you have...
Old 11-05-2008 | 12:08 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

PM replied.
Old 11-05-2008 | 12:49 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Once you go up in tire size, you are faster and more consistent with power steering.

Once you get up to 275's up front (which will clear the stock fenders) the steering kick-back is brutal on the track. To the tune of being almost 1 second per lap slower.

TonyG
Old 11-07-2008 | 04:33 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

hey, i had a very sudden & strange change in thought recently with my manual steering. after having it for about 3 years and hating it (with sumitomo 205/50-17 front tires which came on some wheels i bought) i finally moved up to michelin pilot sports in 225/45-17 and could not believe the difference. it almost feels like PS now. it is soooo easy to steer that as long as you are moving at all, it's not too stiff. before with the sumitomos, any turn less than 30mph or under braking was difficult and almost painful. just turning into a shopping center or driveway was miserable. furthermore, the steering stiffened up under any weight transfer, making it even harder to steer so any curve taken at a speed greater than average was almost impossible to correct once the weight had transferred, not exactly a good set up for a sports car. it is literally like a whole different car now. i can not stress how completely changed the car is now and the only thing i changed was the front tires.

still not sure why exactly but some ideas:
1) old tires had some camber wear, but so much as to cause difficulty. plus, when i first put them on, they were worn evenly.
2) i always run high tire pressures so don't say the old tires weren't inflated properly.
3) when first putting the manual rack on my car, i was not happy with the stiffness and changed caster to ease steering a bit. i never really noticed a change with the old tires though.
4) the steering was also stiff with the original phone dials & 205/55 tires in front.

anyways, i really don't understand it but i do love it. very happy with the manual steering now. also, i'm a slight person so i'm not a big muscle dude and when i say this steering is easy now, it's almost the same as power. really, that easy. no strain whatsoever, unles the car is sitting still.

unless michelin has some secret tire recipe .... anyways, love my michelins now and my whole car.

Quick Reply: non power to power steering question