I need help making a starter/alternator harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I need help making a starter/alternator harness

I want to make a new harness for the battery - alternator - starter. I don't know much about wires and stuff so even some help with terminology would help. I need to know what to get, where to get it, and how to put it together.

I tried driving to the local electronics supply place, Jameco. They're a huge company that deals worldwide so I thought they could at least point me in the right direction. The lady behind the counter was SUPER nice and helpful, but when I asked questions she couldn't answer, she called a tech to come to the front. Well this guy asked me what it's for. I said a car. He asked what kind of car. I said a Porsche. He asked what Porsche. I told him a 944. He chuckled, and said "that's a poor man's porsche! You get it to impress the ladies and they fall for it, huh? Ah well that's why you're here. I would tell you to just buy the harness from the dealer but that would be expensive. Go to pep boys or something."

I was patient with this moron, and told him I had tried kragen and autozone, and even home depot and ace. I told him I simply need wire of the correct gauge, and some eyelet terminals. He just kept chuckling and told me he couldn't help. Well geez, that'll teach me to buy a poor man's Porsche. BTW I don't think they're for poor men... this turbo conversion project could have afforded me a brand new Honda Civic!

Anyway can anyone help me with this harness?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:34 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesnt sound too hard, Ive never done it before though.

I would just run 1 gauge wire from the + side of the battery to the starter. Then from that same starter terminal, run another wire from the starter terminal to the alternator.

The negative is the same gauge, run one cable to the chassis and one to the bellhousing. I wonder if instead of bolting it on top of the bellhousing, you could just loosen one of the bellhousing bolts up top and connect it with that bolt.

Everything else is just finesse. You can get the connections from autozone or pep boys... but make sure your contacts are good.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...er_image=.html

Thats the kind of wire you want, SuperFlex welding cable (at the bottom of the page). Its what IceShark used I think, and I used for a few runs. Very flexible. I would have to look at my IceShark cable in the morning to see what gauge it is, but im pretty sure its 0 or 1 gauge for the starter and engine grounds, and 2 or 4 for the run to the alternator.

http://www.skygeek.com/tefzel-mil22759-16.html

That is where I bought all the Mil Spec Tefzel coated wire that I used in my wiring harness. This stuff doesnt need to be heat shielded unless its VERY close to the exhaust, it has a far higher temp rating than regular wire. It does come in big gauges, like for the starter, but I have no idea how flexible it is. Youll want to use this stuff if youre making new wires for the starter solenoid or the alternator coil power (that thick red wire and thin blue one in the connector behind the brake booster).

For the red wire down to the starter, I suggest 10 gauge wire. For the wire to the alternator, 18 gauge would work.

http://www.prowireusa.com/raychem_DR25.html

Thats the high end heatshrink ive been using. Fuel, oil, solvent resistant. A bit expensive, but worlds better than the cheap stuff. Youll need a bit of 1/2", 1/4" and 3/16" I think. More if you want to heatshrink it all along the wire lengths for extra protection and awsomeness.

For the ring ends, I dont know what sizes youd need off the top of my head. It would depend on the stock battery terminal (id measure, but mine isnt stock). Ill try to remember to measure the starter and alternator terminals next time my car is on jackstands.

http://kayjayco.com/catPCCoverings.htm

The only other thing id recommend is on that page, the 200C silicone coated fiberglass. I used a few sections of that when the wires got close to the exhaust. I also have a section over my clutch hose to protect that from heat.

As for the fusible links that Dan used, I dont have source for those sadly.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That info is incredibly helpful (as in you've done all the hard work for me). Thanks guys!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:13 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
That info is incredibly helpful (as in you've done all the hard work for me). Thanks guys!
+951 Bookmarked for future reference!

Quick Reply: I need help making a starter/alternator harness