Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upper Oil Return to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upper Oil Return to Turbo

My mechanic has said he found my oil leak at this oil line. He said it's at the gasket and not the line itself. To to fix this oil leak, requires pulling off the intake because it's buried in there. My question is should i replace the oil line completely ($160 Dealer price) or change just the gasket? The leak is not pouring out but it is leaking .. i hope there is enough oil going into the turbo.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
My mechanic has said he found my oil leak at this oil line. He said it's at the gasket and not the line itself. To to fix this oil leak, requires pulling off the intake because it's buried in there. My question is should i replace the oil line completely ($160 Dealer price) or change just the gasket? The leak is not pouring out but it is leaking .. i hope there is enough oil going into the turbo.
I have the same issue and was just speaking with a friend/mechanic this morning! He advised heating the old copper gasket to make it malieable again and reinstalling it -- assuming it is not otherwise damaged. Apparently this gasket gets hard and leaks over time. This is on my winter to do list. It is a DIY project if you are familliar with removing the intake; takes time, but label everything and it's not a tough job. A mechanic will charge for a ton of hours on this one...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

DIY, will take a bit of your afternoon...I wouldnt replace the entire hose if its fine personally...just be easy bending it around as it will start leaking.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait a minute......If it's a stock turbo the stock oil feed line doesn't have a gasket and uses a simple oil o-ring @ the turbo and a copper sealing ring at the banjo. If the line is stock, there shouldn't be any gaskets, copper or paper. Aftermarket turbo's can/may have different configurations but if it's the stock line the o-ring works fine.

Once the intake it's a simple fix.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Wait a minute......If it's a stock turbo the stock oil feed line doesn't have a gasket and uses a simple oil o-ring @ the turbo and a copper sealing ring at the banjo. If the line is stock, there shouldn't be any gaskets, copper or paper. Aftermarket turbo's can/may have different configurations but if it's the stock line the o-ring works fine.

Arrrrgggg. I guess I'll find out when I pull mine too. One more D.E. in two weeks @ Road Atlanta then it's up on stands and off with the intake!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy is wise. The copper washers can be found at any decent hardware store in the metric bolt section The o-ring is a high temp one, don't skimp on this. Cook some burgers, dip, beer, take the intake off before the game, at halftime, repair the leak and put the intake on after the game...we'll maybe the next day.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an upgraded turbo, the K27-6.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sebastian944
I have an upgraded turbo, the K27-6.
Same o-rings as stock so nothing special in the changing process. It should be a 2 to 3 hour job taking your sweet time. It's not uncommon for the upper ring to leak. Mine has been installed for five years now and it just started to drool. You're still getting plenty of oil to your turbo so don't sweat it too much.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
Arrrrgggg. I guess I'll find out when I pull mine too. One more D.E. in two weeks @ Road Atlanta then it's up on stands and off with the intake!
Since you have a GT turbo you probably do have a metal lower gasket. Fun job getting to the lower. Since the gasket could just be compressed a bit, you may want to just try snugging the bolts up a 1/4 turn. The return's aren't under pressure so it's rare that they'll leak.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Since you have a GT turbo you probably do have a metal lower gasket. Fun job getting to the lower. Since the gasket could just be compressed a bit, you may want to just try snugging the bolts up a 1/4 turn. The return's aren't under pressure so it's rare that they'll leak.
I'll try that and report back... Thanks

Quick Reply: Upper Oil Return to Turbo