Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Recirc catch can feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Recirc catch can feedback

For those of you running recirculating catch cans, how often do you empty out what gets condensed inside and how much are you getting?

Ive had a Saikou Michi can hooked up on my car since August, about 4k miles, 2 track days and an autocross since then and i still have not gotten anything inside the can to drain out. It is hooked up correctly.. top port of can goes to the top of the air oil separator and the side port goes to the MAF pipe.

Car has 110k miles but very healthy engine. Turbo seals are going as i get some smoke out the exhaust. Mobil 1 20w50 was used for about 1000 miles before i switched to Redline 10w40. Any ideas why i dont get much content? Is that normal?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm curious as well, I am not getting anything in my can either, had it installed since july.

One curious thing to note is before I would get some milkshake inside the oil fill tube, but since I changed the AOS seals and put in the SM, its bone dry.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old engine I used to fill it up after about 40 minutes. I used to also over fill about 1/2 quart high. New engine and just a hair over the top fill mark and I mabye had to empty it one or twice this year.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If everything is tight you shouldn't be getting much at all. I installed a Saikou Michi CC as part of a new engine build and found almost 8oz after only 300 miles. Totally surprised me, thought I had a major problem with things seating in...so after the next 200 miles I check it again, this time only 2oz. The last time I checked it, it was almost dry.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We ran catch cans on our Grand Am cars too, the only time we ever saw anything was when u overfill it. We always overfilled 1/2 quart or so, this allowed oil to get into the catch can. This allowed us to keep tabs on any fileings in the oil. Everytime we had engine issues, we would also have particulates in the catch can.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So seems like its normal. Thanks for the input guys.

I know its doing something because there is a very light film of oil in the inlet of the can.. and blowing into the inlet port i get a pretty heavy smell of oil fumes. I was just surprised i didnt get anything in it. I guess thats a good thing though .
Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spidey944
We ran catch cans on our Grand Am cars too, the only time we ever saw anything was when u overfill it. We always overfilled 1/2 quart or so, this allowed oil to get into the catch can. This allowed us to keep tabs on any fileings in the oil. Everytime we had engine issues, we would also have particulates in the catch can.
Very interesting, I have never heard this before. I will keep a lookout for particulates.

Quick Reply: Recirc catch can feedback