Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM
buxton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad turbo?

I was at the track today and just parked after 6 to 8 hard laps.and opened my hood to let it cool. To my surprise I find oil sprayed on the insulation of the hood and all around above the turbo. I take off the intercooler pipes and they have a light film of oil in them. There is no oil in the tailpipe and the car is not smoking but it seems to have more oil in the pipes than it should as I cleaned them out a week ago. The oil level was about a 1/4 of a quart lower than before I went out on the track which I am sure is from spraying under the hood.

I cleaned all the oil off that I could and put it all back together. I let it run to full temp and no oil sprayed or leaked anywhere. I then drove it home for an hour staying out of the boost and again no oil sprayed anywhere and none dripping.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have happened? Is my turbo going bad? Is there anyway that oil can get in the intercooler pipes without going through the turbo? I don't know where to start diagnosing the problem.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Depape
Racer

Maybe a bad Oil seal... And It sounds like it's only coming out when you have thrust towards the compressor side, which means only when under boost.

I don't know of any other way the oil would get in there. Is the oil in the pipes pre-intercooler (turbo side), or after (throttle side)?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory AOS connects by a large diameter hose to a point b/t the oil filter and turbo inlet. The factory AOS is not very effective. It is very normal to have at least some oil throughout the intake system especially when you drive it hard at the track. Do you have oil upstream of the turbo? If so it is probably from the AOS not a turbo failure.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
buxton
Racer

I found oil in both sides. The strange thing is where all the oil came from outside of the turbo that sprayed on the hood and all around the drivers side of the engine compartment.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last time I blew a boost hose at the track I got oil all over the engine bay. If you had a boost leak around the boot at turbo exit it would explain what you've seen.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:30 PM
buxton
Racer

hp18racer, I think you are right. I think I may of had a loose clamp on a boost hose. I drove it home with no problems and have driven it since with no problems. I had it at the shop yesterday to get some non related work and had them check it out and my mechanic couldn't find a leak anywhere. I got into the boost this morning several times while driving it and again no oil anywhere. There is no smoke and the turbo (26/8) still spools normally. Oil pressure is still 40+ when driving and 30+ at idle.

Also, I am not familiar with the Air Oil Seperator and what exactly its function is. Would something in there allow oil to get into the intercooler pipes?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:44 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a hose problem, not a turbo problem.

Quick Reply: Bad turbo?