Axle / CV accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle / CV accident

Hi Guys,

nothing EVER seems to go right when I work on the car (guess its inexperience) Went to fit a new CV boot tonight and taking the axle out I managed to trap my finger and in the process let go fg the axle. As I had already removed the circlip it fell to the floor, and the bearings plus inner and out race scattered across the garage floor

so I set about rebuilding it. My first attempt resulted in the outer sheath (the big metal housing which the 6 cheesehead bolts go through) not being able to rotate. I presumed I had something back to front so I reversed it. Now it works fine and has plenty of free movement. (as it should) I took it for a test drive and everything seems fine even when I light the wheels up in a tight turn

Is it possible to put it back together incorrectly (if it has all the movement it should?)
Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

If you got all the ***** in and the joint is free to move, you got it right.

Mark T.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 PM
DanR
Drifting

thought / hoped so - cheers!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

You did fine. I take them apart all the time and can master Rubics Cage every time now. Funny how you have to go through all that manipulation to get it back togeteer right.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
DanR
Drifting

it got to the point where I refussed to give in. I am sure the language flying in the garage was not for public consumption. In the end it was quite easy!!!!!...............................................just took me 1 hour to realize
Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats - sounds like you did it OK. I remember having a similar experience with my 914 about 13 years ago... All of a sudden: plink, plink, plob, bing. And thinking, "well, I guess I'm gonna learn something new today!"

What you probably did the 1st time was get the relationship of the grooves on the inner and outer pieces out of phase... The second time, you did it so the joint could move and the ***** would travel down the grooves.

Are you going to Watkins Glen Oct. 15 & 16?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
DanR
Drifting

at LRP next Monday and then at the glen with CVR 20/21
Old 10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Good stuff. dan check your text. I see your doing well
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Originally Posted by DanR
Hi Guys,

nothing EVER seems to go right when I work on the car (guess its inexperience) Went to fit a new CV boot tonight and taking the axle out I managed to trap my finger and in the process let go fg the axle. As I had already removed the circlip it fell to the floor, and the bearings plus inner and out race scattered across the garage floor

so I set about rebuilding it. My first attempt resulted in the outer sheath (the big metal housing which the 6 cheesehead bolts go through) not being able to rotate. I presumed I had something back to front so I reversed it. Now it works fine and has plenty of free movement. (as it should) I took it for a test drive and everything seems fine even when I light the wheels up in a tight turn

Is it possible to put it back together incorrectly (if it has all the movement it should?)
I thought the same thing...rigid axle would be bad...bty was this a messy job or what

Quick Reply: Axle / CV accident