Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 turbo block same as 944 NA block

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 188 Posts

How about the old school VW manual tension type the stud snaps off the block and trashes the motor.
Yes, that is the one I have experience with. That is a job that sucks big time! Happened to a friend's car.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro951
I don't have any good reason other then I am a old school VW manual tension type of guy. Give me reasons to like it other then its automatic? I don't know anything about them on 944's
I was that way until I built my new motor. Now I am a believer in the spring unit. It makes tensioning the belt so much easier -- usually gets it wihin spec without adjusting. The tensioner has two little holes in it that accept the b/s spanner wrench pins, which can be used to set the tension anywhere you want (just like old verion, but without needing to play with those eccentric cam adjusters things).
Old 12-09-2020, 10:04 PM
Michael Querin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
That depends on who you believe. There have been rumors and even articles posted in excellence about casting differences between the blocks indicating that the Turbo blocks have more material but based on my personal measurements of the mains, cylinder walls, water jacket depth, and block thickness and they're identical. I also doubt Porsche would have spec'd different metallurgy for the blocks to increase strengths.

The early blocks NA are different from the later 44 and 51 blocks so you do not want to use that because the oil feed journals are smaller which is why the early cranks were x-drilled. Somewhere around late 84 and early 85 they opened them up. To be on the safe side (id you don't know what your looking at) stick with an 86+ block for turbo use.

Do you need a block?
i could use a block! Planning to turbo my 84 944 and am thinking I need to get the later model 944 Na block at the very least.

let me know. My email is Michael.querin@gmail.com

Quick Reply: 944 turbo block same as 944 NA block