Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegates, turbo spool, and HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:38 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any good reason to go larger than a 38, on a 2.5 ltr 951? If so, I don't know what it is. You can't make cherry pie with apples. If spool up is the issue, you're better off going to larger displacement. Spool up can only be manipulated to a finite extent.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
If the turbine and compressor are matched to the engine and intented boost pressure to be used, you could basically run without a WG...
Not sure I follow you here Pete, without a WG you will always boost much, much over 2 bar regardles of turbo.

True that the turbine and compressor needs to be matched to the intended boost pressure, but without a WG you will always overboost.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen people run successfully with out wasgates by running big hotside A/R's and a dual port blow off and solinioid set at boost pressure . I might try it on my VGT set up. The car works just fine but there is still the risk at over speeding the turbine to 150k rpm .
and I still think its crazy to go smaller than factory waste gate
Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I've seen people run successfully with out wasgates by running big hotside A/R's and a dual port blow off and solinioid set at boost pressure . I might try it on my VGT set up. The car works just fine but there is still the risk at over speeding the turbine to 150k rpm .
I have been trying to confirm that the factory wastegate size is larger than 38mm. Can you point to a reference?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Crazy aussie!
For a 1/4 mile car perhaps but not for a street or race track car.
Hmm VGT setup sounds interesting though..
Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by seattle951
I have been trying to confirm that the factory wastegate size is larger than 38mm. Can you point to a reference?
IIRC it's 45 mm. I have a few laying around in the garage. Can post some photos with measurements tomorrow if you want.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by Duke
IIRC it's 45 mm. I have a few laying around in the garage. Can post some photos with measurements tomorrow if you want.
The size is measured by the size of the valve, correct?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

seattle951;
I have also been confronted with wastegate decisions in the past and have done some research:
The stock wastegate is 38mm. (yes, it's the size of the valve)
Wastegate size has no effect on spool-up.
Contrary to what was said, here, a "tighter" hotside does not need a larger wastegate; it's the other way around.
A larger wastegate does not reduce back pressure; or more accurately, it does not give you a more favourable back pressure : boost pressure ratio.
A larger wastegate is only needed if you have boost creep.
I don't know of anyone actually "needing" larger than 38mm, even on a 3.0L.
If stock wastwgate plumbing is used (ie; wastegate valve opening into pipe), the valve size is less important than the size of the pipe which it is opening into.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

well you are more likly to get "creep" if you get a chepo ebay 60mm gate with 61mm can . but we could then descus wich way the gate opens .
and i have back up the earlier statement that smaller hot side bigger wastgate as the 951 is in factory trim you can't get the CFM through the hotside so it needs to get out especially if you have a big **** compressor
Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

gt37vgt;
I'm having a hard time deciphering through your english and sentence structure, but basically:

????????????????????????????
Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 AM
seattle951
Pro

This was the final conclusion I came too after reading the posts on this board, referencing a few engineering books and calling trusted vendors. Unless there is a boost creep problem, there is no advantage to a larger wastegate. The only caveat is that the larger units are usually made with more heat resistant materials for heavy duty track driving. Since my car rarely sees the track except for the occasional DE day, the 38 mm Teal is a great match.

Thanks to everyone who added to this discussion through this tread.

Also, thank you for the PMs. It was interesting to learn that others are having the same issues with the same make/model of aftermarket wastegate that I have currently on my car (about to be replaced).

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
seattle951;
I have also been confronted with wastegate decisions in the past and have done some research:
The stock wastegate is 38mm. (yes, it's the size of the valve)
Wastegate size has no effect on spool-up.
Contrary to what was said, here, a "tighter" hotside does not need a larger wastegate; it's the other way around.
A larger wastegate does not reduce back pressure; or more accurately, it does not give you a more favourable back pressure : boost pressure ratio.
A larger wastegate is only needed if you have boost creep.
I don't know of anyone actually "needing" larger than 38mm, even on a 3.0L.
If stock wastwgate plumbing is used (ie; wastegate valve opening into pipe), the valve size is less important than the size of the pipe which it is opening into.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

What issues are you having with your current unit? Is it a Lindsey?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:30 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Care to explain that?

-Rogue
Old 09-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

+1 with synapse. The ability to custom tune it is a HUGE plus. I think I might have been the first or one of the first 951s to use it. Its been a year and 3k and it has worked flawlessly.

Accuboost with single attachment to synapse port = perfect for me. It also has the ability to be used WITHOUT a mbc.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Crazy aussie!
For a 1/4 mile car perhaps but not for a street or race track car.
Hmm VGT setup sounds interesting though..
Crazy Aussie, oh you don't know the half of it. Seen 'Wolf Creek'??? They modelled this guy of gt37vgt...

Quick Reply: Wastegates, turbo spool, and HP