spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I suggest a FMIC.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 293 Posts

So I guess using the search function really is a waste of time!!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
That probably wont work well.
lol
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
well...the stock one is a low pressure area, no benefit UNLESS you add a custom intercooler duct underneath. Chris Cervelli turned a full second a lap better with a vented panel at a few tracks in his silver car. The LR stage V panel gets the fiberglass in the high pressure area - grab some air and with a custom duct toward the intercooler, is a good friend on the track.

Ski, the factory intercooler inlet is in the high pressure zone. the vented panel is not . By adding the vent in the nose panel reduces the pressure and disturbs the air to the intercooler . We confirmed this when we used to run the 924 gtr with the vented nose panel years ago . The vented nose panel on that car helped with underhood air temps. While your nose panel comes out into the air stream more than others i have seen, It 's better to vent the hood as it will improve airflow thru all the coolers.

If you calculate the actual area of a stock intercooler vs the stock opening , it is more than sufficient enough at high speeds to feed the factory intercooler. Any larger a opening would result in more airflow than can pass thru the intercooler at high speeds. If the intent is to get more air to the intercooler , make a bigger inlet at the bumper , this might be necessary on cars that are used for auto-x or hillclimbs due to the lower speeds. Rally cars benefit from this as they rarely exceed 100 mph, hence the big multiple openings on a rally car ...

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-24-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

AW, to follow your reasoning, so long as you can get the air out in similar quantities, then wouldn't opening up the front increase the area of i/c that is exposed therefore bringing temps down more and providing a cooler charge? Agreed that it has to go somewhere. What about a setup similar to the 968RS or that special 924 turbo in the UK we've seen in here. That has direct ducting from the i/c back through the hood as shown here. Although the 924 CGTS had a different i/c setup, it also had nose venting as you know. I am of the opinion that provided it's not getting trapped underhood, the more airflow through the i/c and radiator can only be a good thing...aren't you?
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

By venting the hood the nose panel vents become more effective ! Remember the intercooler has a fixed Sq/Area , this area will only allow X amount of air thru .
If you calculate the area of the intercooler that will allow air to pass vs the opening Sq/Area you will see there is already a surplus. By venting the back of the IC , you will increase the efficiency at which this air move's thru the cooler..
Steve's was trying to accomplish this with his setup( pic), as he does hill climbs where the avg speed is low he needs bigger vents , not so on a circuit that will allow higher speeds .......

For a track car under 500 whp , the stock intercooler and inlet is more than sufficient , if not look at the turbo ...Could you benefit from a bigger IC and opening , yes, maybe ( turbo and BHP goal Dependant ) but not necessarily so .. As i said before i would vent the hood , before opening the front of the car which is already aero sorted ... open up for bigger brake ducts and oil cooler yes!

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-24-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Thanks for ALL the info. So for stock it would just be cosmetic-got it ! In Virginia we have to have a front license plate and it kills me to think how much it disturbes air flow and it's not cosmetically pleasing. I wish we could custom order them to size, I would go for the euro look.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock inlet yes, but we weren't talking about the stock inlet, I thought the discussion was Vented nose panels. Our custom duct, grabs the stock inlet air and the LR V panel gets more air from being up in the air(hp air) and our duct goes to the top of the panel.

I wouldn't think anyone here WOULD NOT grab air from the stock location if they were doing some custom work. Also, over time, the stock plastic inlet will start dropping from it's top location and restrict air coming in. It's very easy to build a new inlet with thin aluminum, some tin snips, saws all, and sheet metal screws.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given that both the header panel and stock inlet are in a high pressure zone, the physics boils down to CFM = ft/min X area (flow = velocity X area) at the speeds we are talking about.

Double the area with velocity constant will double the CFM. The coil (intercooler) pressure drop will increase and so will the flow. Increased flow = increased cooling.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Given that both the header panel and stock inlet are in a high pressure zone, the physics boils down to CFM = ft/min X area (flow = velocity X area) at the speeds we are talking about.

Double the area with velocity constant will double the CFM. The coil (intercooler) pressure drop will increase and so will the flow. Increased flow = increased cooling.
That's exactly what I meant to say...if I had paid more attention in school...

Quick Reply: vented header panel benefits