Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New (non leaky) Cometic Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Ian Carr;5840501]it wasn't even an old version, they marketed a 951 head gasket even though it was a 928 gasket. In turn, as you even said it was a 50/50 crap shoot. I think its annoying that I dropped that much money on a head gasket which was falsely advertised.

Comeon guys. The 928 gasket will not fit our cars.....Cometic gaskets leak on ALL cars, not just ours. Sometimes it's the prep, sometimes it's the head, most of the time it's the installer, and some of the time it's Cometic at the manufacturing level I suppose.

Mine leaked. One bottle of good ol stop leak did the trick. It might have stopped on it's own, but wanted to stop the little leak NOW.

No issues since then. Cometic gaskets are the strongest gasket available for our cars. Don't forget that if your tuning sucks, or you are boosting beyond safety, you will no longer have a safety net, as the cometic won't blow like the widefire or factory gasket.

Liked the condom statement. Cracked me up.

George
Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We received our first batch of the new gaskets this week and the improvements look great.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with who ever said the problems are often installers, Block and Head finishers. Ther are many of these out there that have not leaked. Yes there are some that have too.

The issue is not that there is was a fault with the Gasket, it was because there is a difference in blocks. Around the Water galley at the front of the engine the blocks do often have a difference in thickness. From the times I have had these gaskets installed, like any part, care should be taken to ensure the fit is correct, not just take it all for granted.

Its great that Cometic have made the change, but it is not their responsibility to make sure the installer is doing the correct thing. Leaking gaskets are a pain, but rememeber where the the change has been made is system pressure sealing not sealing the Cylinders.

For those that still have a worry, a little sealer around this area works great. No problem. Builders like JME, PD, CEP have been using these for years without any issues. if its good enough for them, we can be assured it will work for us.

There are alot of other things that should be looked at while changing the H gasket as well. Often these are overlooked. Talking to real engine builders can enlighten those that do not know and is a really good idea. Talking to parts Jockeys is buyer beware.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder why JME, PD and CEP never noticed there was a problem in all those years? We not only noticed the problem quickly, but had it fixed for everyone using them. When you have two freshly machined surfaces with the right spec or finer on the pitch, and it still leaks, you have something else going on. Gooping it up with sealer isn't the
"professional" solution in our opinion. Now everybody can benefit from an improved
product and most people now know about it. Our job is done here!

Last edited by Mike Lindsey; 10-01-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: New (non leaky) Cometic Gaskets