Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

alu flywheel, is it worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts
Default alu flywheel, is it worth the money?

I am considering to buy aluminum flywheel.. does anybody here has one installed and can tell if it makes a big difference on 951 or not..
Old 09-14-2008, 06:11 PM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one on my car. When it was installed a lot of other work was done at the same time so it is hard to isolate its impact. I think it probably had a small impact. The car was unchanged from a driveability impact.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:48 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I have chosen a lightened crank and lighted steel fly wheel . but An aluminum flywheel doesn't require removing the crank . i think its hard to justify its expense as a stand alone operation but if your doing a clutch it might make sense
Old 09-15-2008, 04:54 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I have chosen a lightened crank and lighted steel fly wheel . but An aluminum flywheel doesn't require removing the crank . i think its hard to justify its expense as a stand alone operation but if your doing a clutch it might make sense
I'll echo that.
Personally, if you have a guy like Markus Blazak do the work, the lightened steel is better to me. my 0.02
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Again, really not worth it unless your cars sees a lot of trackwork. The combo of lighter stuff has a tendency to want to stall on the road btw.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I had my stock flywheel lightened to 9.5# by Marcus. I like it a lot. I went with the KEP I pp too, which is also lighter than stock. It's not too light so as to be annoying around town - I can still 'cruise' lazily with no problems - but it is definitely noticeable. In a good way IMHO. I had to replace the clutch, so I went ahead with all this at the time. I wouldn't do it just to do it ... but if I'd do it again if I was 'in there'.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Stay with steel on a street car .......................................
Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
JasonV
Track Day

A lightened fly wheel is no big deal on a street car. It barely makes a difference for drivability, but, does rev up/down a little faster and feels good. If you can't rev up the car and find that you are stalling it, practice a little in your neighbourhood until you get the feel of it. Maybe I'm a super-star (doubt that! ;-)), but, I went from stock to lightweight PP and Flywheel and it didn't feel any different for clutching.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

i had a light weight flywheel(fidenza) in my 86 track car and yes there is a big difference in the way your revs will drop off.for a street car i would not recommend it unless you are into heel toeing all the time
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Again, really not worth it unless your cars sees a lot of trackwork. The combo of lighter stuff has a tendency to want to stall on the road btw.
+2

Old 09-16-2008, 12:55 AM
seattle951
Pro

I have to agree with Jason. I have a lightened crank, aluminum flywheel and lightweight clutch and the car has lost little drivability. I can't remember ever stalling the car in traffic.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer is "yes".

It's always worth it. No matter the use of the car (in the case of of the 951).

The reciprocating mass is ridiculously heavy, coupled with a restricted exhaust, and heavy balance shafts to sling around,..... and you end up with exactly what you have.... an engine that revs like it is buried in molasses.

These engines really benefit from a lightened flywheel/pressure plate. And if you're lightening the reciprocating mass... light weight rods/pistons/crank.

It's almost impossible to take too much weight out of the reciprocating mass of these engines.

But once you lighten up the engine, it starts to behave like a N/A setup with respect to throttle response, which is all good.

TonyG
Old 09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dougoh
i had a light weight flywheel(fidenza) in my 86 track car and yes there is a big difference in the way your revs will drop off.for a street car i would not recommend it unless you are into heel toeing all the time

Well I do that in traffic anyway, so no biggie.

I'm with Tony on this one -- these cars (particularly the turbo) rev painfully slowly. So what -- you've gotta give the car a couple more revs to get her goin...have you not ridden a crotch-rocket?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Personal preference.

LW flywheel & clutch on a street 951 is okay and not significantly noticeable from a drivability standpoint. You tend to slip the clutch a bit more but don't have to really think about doing it. A LW FW, clutch & crank is a bit too much and the lost inertia is noticeable on the street (to me).
Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

actually I have a chipped 951S engine with complete transaxle, brakes and everything that goes with it in my garage, waiting for me to swap it all to my na beauty (which died one week ago. cluch together with flywheel somehow got loose from the engine.. I have yet to discover how)

I wil first reseal everything on 951 engine, than I would like to optimize it as much as possible before puting it in the car. I was considering the 340hp lindsey pack, but at the moment I cannot afford it, so maybe aluminum flywheel, ceramic clutch and maybe new injectors.. :|

if you have an idea what else could I do with the engine now that its out, it is welcome

btw: I will stay on manual rack, but will upgrade to aircon (my 944 is w/o one)

I will not use the car on a track since I live in a country with 2 million people and there is not a single official track in slovenia. If I'd want to track her, I'd have to go to grobnik and that is in neighbor country - croatia. what a ****ed up country this is. maybe that's why so many people die on the road every year here.

Quick Reply: alu flywheel, is it worth the money?