Early TT bearing carrier rivets

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Early TT bearing carrier rivets

I am rebuilding an early style TT. I had to drill the rivets on the 2-piece bearing carriers, and now that I'm ready to reassemble everything, I can't see how I can re-rivet them. Can someone please give some advice?

I tried a search, I found one relevant thread, but it had a dead link! I tried buying split rivets and filing them flat on 2 sides but they just aren't working out for me. I'd love if I could fit a rivet gun into that tight space but I don't think it will work (I don't have a rivet gun). I keep looking at this, wishing I had a TIG.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use #4/40 x 3/8"-long hex bolts with #4 lock washers and #4 nuts and loctite, you may need to file two sides of the nuts flat so that they fit inside the narrow bearing carrier channels.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:15 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I love that. THANKS!

In my impatience I spent the afternoon reading more on RL and eventually found this thread, and did what post #11 says... https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...aring+carriers

It worked, and I hope it holds. Next time I'll either use the bolts pictured above, or spot welds. After dinner I will post pictures of the rivets I used for future reference.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:11 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used rivits the saze of the hole and filed the edges just enough for them for fit snuggly between the sides.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I used 1/8" rivets. This is what I did: I plucked the pin out of a rivet so I could use the little flared part as a spacer for my rivet gun, so I could pop rivets into that narrow channel. Used a dremel to take away 2 sides of a rivet, so it could fit into the channel. Then I did this:

Thanks for the help everyone. I love this place.

Quick Reply: Early TT bearing carrier rivets