Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How often do you guys do the oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although in the minority, I do not change the oil at a specifically set interval (time or miles). Rather, I change the oil when it starts to appear dirty. There are so many road and driving conditions that factor into play (i.e., dirt roads, hard driving etc.).
Old 09-14-2008, 11:12 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by boston951
Although in the minority, I do not change the oil at a specifically set interval (time or miles). Rather, I change the oil when it starts to appear dirty. There are so many road and driving conditions that factor into play (i.e., dirt roads, hard driving etc.).
You mean when it starts to turn dark grey? Nothing but dirt free highways here in sunny SF...
Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmalo810
Go to www.lnengineering.com and there is a good write up there on why not to change to frequently. Thru testing, not theory, they discovered that oil doesn't reach it peak until well after 3k that we've all been acustom to doing. Actually premature oil changes cause more wear in the engine. Also, they've done dyno and engine tear downs on nearly every oil out there and have established info on those oils that have the least wear capabilities.
In older engines, synthetics may not be your best choice.
They can also test your oil and tell you what is going on with the oil and your engine, how frequent you should change it.

When I bought my 951, the guy that owned it used Mobil 1 religiously. Also told me there was no oil leaks. Drove it a few times, got it home and started to notice spots of oil under the car. A friend told me about dumping syn and going dino and I didn't believe him. I then went to a seminar on oil by Charles from LN Engineering and Jay Raby (air cooled race engine builder). They explained the differences in formulas and calcium vs. ZDDP additives, blah, blah, blah. However, succes in their engines were from oils with more ZDDP and saw no wear advantages from syn oils. However, they did say in low HP motors they did discover that Amsoil was slightly better then Mobil 1 for HP gain.
So, I switched to a dino oil with more zddp and the engine runs more quiet and no more oil leaks.
Oils with more ZDDP are ASI rated SG, SH, of SJ. Oils rates SL/SM have none or a lot less zddp and more calcium. Motorcycle oils usually contain more ZDDP.
Another proponent of oils with more ZDDP is Lindsy Racing. I think they would know what they are talking about.
So what dino oil is the one you're using with more ZDDP? I'm using VR1...
Old 09-15-2008, 02:18 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LFA951
You mean when it starts to turn dark grey? Nothing but dirt free highways here in sunny SF...
As soon as the dipstick cannot be clearly read, it is time for new oil. If the oil is opaque, then change immediately.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was racing my NA in 102F temps this weekend and hit 260-270F on the oil for 30 minutues at a time. I also ran a 3 day even at miller in June including a 2 hour enduro. My oil will be changed before my next race.

On second though I may change the entire engine after my next race weekend so I may not change the oil. I hate to put in $65 worth of oil for just one weekend. I will need to inspect it first.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

As soon as the dipstick cannot be clearly read, it is time for new oil. If the oil is opaque, then change immediately.
Funny, I had blackstone test some dark oil and they said it was in great shape. Some dissolved soot is no big deal and has no effect on the oil's ability to do it's job.

Some say changing to oil too often is bad as the oil's additive package has to adapt to the conditions in your motor, increasing wear during that adaptation. I don't know about that, but I do know that it's a sad waste of money and resources to recycle all that half-used oil and that perfectly good filter.

I end up changing my P-car's oil pretty often in terms of mileage because I usually change it every year and with several cars in the fleet I do not get near the 12K-15K change interval. My Audi A8 is supposed to get 10K oil changes but I do it about every 8K-9K. 3000 mile oil changes with 2 gallons of synthetic? No way. It's over $50 if I do it myself, so 3k changes would mean $100 thrown away for no reason. Plus the dirty oil fitler going to a landfill and the need to recycle four gallons of oil needlessly.

-Joel.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Read? How do you read it? I just add up to the top triangle inlet and I can do that even if it's black...
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

I change my oil every 1500 miles or 1.5 months. I don't know of the oil being changed too early issue but I have had no oil problems because of it. My oil looks the same almost coming out as it did goin in just a slight tint to it. I do quite a bit of track driving and street driving but I just feel on the safe side doin it this way. The oil of choice for me is castrol 5w-50. I know it sound kinda extreme but im in and out my motor alot so it's no big deal to me.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 AM
gpan951
Advanced

I found this to be a good read-it does explain the chemical changes oil goes through during its service life.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Gerald

Quick Reply: How often do you guys do the oil change?