Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sloppy Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sloppy Steering

I must say the steering in my 951 has gone from okay, to 1940's dump trunk in the past six months. I've replaced the tires and the dampers aren't bad so I'm left with trying to figure out whether the control arms are bad or something in the steering is bad.

The clearest symptom is that the car follows grooves in the road and I have to correct it continually on rough surfaces. Also, the more off-center you move the steering, the harder it is to turn the wheels (while rolling).

If you jack the car up and turn the steering, the wheels turn with even the slightest movement of the steering wheel. Of course, under-load it may all be different and a few mm's of slack could translate into 1940's truck handling (i'm no expert on that though)

There are no noises indicative of loose anything.

My gut feeling is steering rack? (No leaks, rubber boots are perfect). I'm trying to picture the suspension geometry in my head. To me, if the conrol arms aren't worn, then the only thing left that would allow the wheels to move would be the steering linkage/rack.

What do you guy's think?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the U-joints in the steering intermediate shaft. This is the shaft which connects the steering wheel to the steering rack - these joints will wear out over time and can cause some play in the steering wheel.

Other things to check include tie rods, suspension bushings (I'm sure the control arms are fine, but the bushings or ball joints may be shot), wheel bearings and even the alignment.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I think Scott nailed it. First check tie rod ends and wheel bearings as they're easy.

IIRC a bolt holds the steering shaft U-joint together. It could be loose.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when was the last alignment?
Curb check or otherwise "rough up" the front suspension in the last 6 months.

poor alignment will certainly cause tracking issues

Quick Reply: Sloppy Steering