SOLD: K27/6 used, excellent condition

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SOLD: K27/6 used, excellent condition

SOLD!

I have been on and off about selling this turbo for a month now but have decided to sell it in favor of something a little bigger. I originally chose this turbo because it retains similar spool up to the K26/6 with a solid increase in HP and TQ..hoping to retain some auto-x ability..but i have started to move to more HPDE oriented things and spool up really isnt as big a concern as it used to be.

It is a K27 turbo with a #6 hotside. Bolt on for a 951 with proper waterpipe modification and AFM chips mapped for the turbo (or MAF setup). I do not know the exact mileage on it, but the seller i bought it from said it was removed from a 951 race car which suffered an engine fire. A new viton seal for the compressor housing was added on by the previous owner (no miles on this turbo since). There is very minimal shaft play (i mean really, very little) and it is basically ready to bolt on. You will need to index the hotside and cold side of the turbo when installing aswell as clean out the center section as there is some dirt inside.

I am asking $450 shipped (exactly what i paid, minus shipping) in the lower 48.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 09-04-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hermmm

what might you be going with now
Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Uh oh, it's damaged, just send it to me and I'll throw it away for you.

Bump for Jon!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be interested
Old 09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

John, i am thinking about going with a SFR 60-1 HiFi with the #8 hotside or maybe the Stage 2 T57. I got a ride with a very well sorted 60-1 equipped car yesterday at Lime Rock and was pretty impressed at the power and spool up. Another friend also has the same turbo on his track only car and loves it.

The main reason i am even upgrading the turbo is because i have 3 bent compressor blades on my K26/6 and its only a matter of time before it goes. The car was fast enough at 11psi at my last outing on the K26! Also now that i am getting more into HPDE, i like the idea of having less backpressure from the #6 hotside as ill be running at high RPM alot more often than just on the street and auto-x.

For those wondering, as i understand it the K27/6 should be good for around 300whp at 15-16psi assuming you have the correct supporting mods.

If interested, PM me and we can talk details. I am motivated to sell because id like to get the new turbo in time to install over my thanksgiving vacation.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent. ASAP

EDIT: PLEASE DISREGARD...I FORWARDED THIS TO MY MECHANIC AND HE INFORMED ME THAT I HAD INSTRUCTED HIM TO ORDER(AND I PAID FOR IT) A 28/6 2 WEEKS AGO...SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION, I MUST HAVE BEEN HEAVY ON THE COCKTAILS LAST MONTH, BECAUSE I STILL DO NOT REMEMBER.

Last edited by CPR; 09-03-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great price Jon.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Ive had many questions and a few of them have been brought up a couple times. Ill try to address those. I will be home tomorrow night and will make a short video showing the condition of the turbo. I will update this post tomorrow with it.

DISCLAIMER : I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT ON THE K27/6!! All of my 'answers' are based on what i have read in the past about these turbo's. If you see anything wrong with my answers, PLEASE feel free to correct me.

1) What is the condition of the turbo? What is the mileage on it? Does it need a rebuild?

I think my description in my first post is pretty much all i can say about the turbo without saying the same exact thing over again in a different way. This turbo in my opinion DOES NOT need a rebuild. I am unsure of the actual mileage on it, but the shaft play is basically zero. Its just barely detectable. If its any consolation, i was going to install this turbo as is. And i am not the type of person to install something on my car knowing it would need to be removed in 10-20k miles needing a rebuild. I am a do it once, do it right kinda person. If you did decide to rebuild this turbo, i was quoted $340 from Bob at Turbo-Performance.com (in CA) for a rebuild. They are a rebuilder whose name has came up multiple times on old threads as the 'go to' place for the K27/6.

Here is a c/p of the description from the original seller of this turbo (Whom i bought it from).

'Pulled from a 951 race car that endured a fuel fire in the engine compartment (I dont see how that would effect the turbo in any way). It has minimal axial play and was reputed to be a real good unit while in service - does not blow excessive oil. I had it checked at my machine shop and they gave it a clean bill of health. While there, I had the compressor housing bead blasted and replaced the compressor housing seal with a new Viton seal. Includes new fittings to properly offset the water line (you will need the short aux. water pump sensor to fit under a stock hood) and NA intake tube to adapt to stock 951 AFM. I was planning to install it over Thanksgiving break this year in Crush. Only reason I am selling is that I bought a Vitesse Stage 2.'

2) How much power will it add over a stock turbo?

I think you can expect a realistic 30bhp over a stock K26/6. I have no direct experience running a K27/6, but from all other dyno charts i have seen for them it should be able to support a solid 300whp at 15-16psi with correct supporting mods such as 3'' exhaust, no cat, better wastegate and proper chips or a MAF setup. I think if you wanted to try and be a hero, you would see close to 340whp at high boost levels (17-18psi)

3) How much boost can it support?

Again, this is speculation on my part but from what i have read you can run 16-17psi without ill effects, 18psi is about the max for a #6 hotside. This is assuming you have a good tune and the proper fuel to support the boost.

4) What do you mean by needing to index the hotside?

Basically you just need to line up the hotside flange to the crossover flange with the compressor discharge side oriented correctly. This involves loosening the 4 or 6 (i cant remember) nuts holding the hotside on, and rotating the hotside of the turbo so both flanges line up. Its really very easy can all you need is a 13mm wrench to do it..no special tools.

5) What do i need to do to install the turbo? Is it bolt on?

The turbo is essentially bolt on. You need to make a modification to the coolant y-pipe. AKA, bending the waterpipe (search this term and you will get a dozen threads). Most people i have talked to say bending it does not work well. I personally think adding a flexible rubber hose to raise the y-pipe is the best method..you can see what i mean by this in this thread i saved for reference..

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/437103-bending-the-turbo-water-pipe-suggestions.html

and

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=k27+water

6) Are you negotiable?

I bought this turbo for $450 + shipping, so i am already taking a loss on it..so i am pretty firm in my asking price of $450 shipped (i am willing to mail to Canada for an extra $20). I think its a pretty fair price considering its basically ready to put on the car. Im willing to listen to negotiations, but please dont be offended if i decline. I am looking for a set of intercooler hardpipes from SFR or Lindsey Racing....

Last edited by Techno Duck; 09-04-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All journal-bearing turbos will have a slight bit of axial-play. This play is taken up once pressurized oil is fed to the turbo.
For $450 and the condition of the turbo, I would say that this is an awesome deal!

-Rogue
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Rouge, thanks for your input. This is what i was thinking also, but i am not familiar enough with turbo's to know if this was just the normal tolerance i was feeling or not. I try to be on the conservative side and like to be as forthcoming as possible.

Quick Reply: SOLD: K27/6 used, excellent condition