Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question: rebuild, coolant in oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 03:44 PM
Synth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: rebuild, coolant in oil filter

I have a question which I believe has a simple answer but I'm just not sure what it is. I'm at the tail end of a engine install. I had the oil filter off and was filling the coolant and noticed that there was coolant in the hole closest to the engine where the oil filter attaches.

From what I've read I'm pretty sure I have a leak in the oil cooler somewhere. I did replace the seals, but am wondering if maybe I forgot one. I used the large 3 in 1 gasket, so i didn't miss one of those. Were there O-rings in there I may have missed? I don't remember what it looked like now. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008 | 05:55 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

there is a small aluminum tube that connects the block to the cooler adapter, the tube has a green O-ring at each end. If you forgot the o-rings or the tube you would get coolant in the crank case. If the car is NA then the same o-rings seal the cooler to the block and housing.
Old 09-02-2008 | 02:00 PM
Synth
Instructor

Thanks, that sounds like it might be the culprit. I'm gonna try to get the oil cooler off tonight. Clarks' Garage says you can do it without removing the engine, and I'm praying that he's right!
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:27 PM
Synth
Instructor

For anyone else having this issue, I found this link after several hours of searching rennlist forums. I was looking for a better picture or writeup than what was on Clarks' Garage. Hope this helps.

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm
Old 09-03-2008 | 09:43 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Synth
For anyone else having this issue, I found this link after several hours of searching rennlist forums. I was looking for a better picture or writeup than what was on Clarks' Garage. Hope this helps.

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm
Thanks for the link. I'm about to replace the gasket and seals this weekend due to a massive external oil that I am hoping is from here. The pics help as I have not done this before with the engine in the car.
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:41 AM
Synth
Instructor

You're welcome, glad I could help.

I got the oil cooler housing off last night and it actually wasn't that difficult. I couldn't get it out until I removed the sway bar though. It looks like I didn't replace those O-rings when I replaced the gasket. So, I've got the 2 O-rings on order and hopefully they get here quickly! This is the only thing holding me back from turning the key now.
Old 09-06-2008 | 10:02 PM
Synth
Instructor

Here's an update. I got the seals today and replaced the old ones. It was a little difficult removing and replacing the oil cooler housing from under the car, but not too bad. I got it all hooked up and filled up the fluids with no issues. Once again Rennlist, you had the answer!

Quick Reply: Question: rebuild, coolant in oil filter