Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennlist Harness "Special Pricing"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think many people realize how long it takes to make a wiring harness by hand, even if the harness is laid out on a peg board. The use of ratcheting hand crimpers, which I assume is what Lindsey was using, are only for prototyping and repair work. Their use for any type of production is grossly inefficient.
The wiring harness manufacturer will have the same kind of big dollar equipment that made the factory harnesses, where the wire lengths, strip lengths and crimping will be extremely repeatable. They will also be able to produce at a much lower cost due to lower cycle times, wages and *material costs.

I do not have a need for one of these harnesses or have any vested interest in them. In fact, I don't think I've even bought anything from Lindsey Racing. I just don't like seeing someone jumped on for running his business properly.

*material cost will be lower due to buying wire in much larger bulk than I bet Lindsey did.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I don't think many people realize how long it takes to make a wiring harness by hand, even if the harness is laid out on a peg board. The use of ratcheting hand crimpers, which I assume is what Lindsey was using, are only for prototyping and repair work. Their use for any type of production is grossly inefficient.
The wiring harness manufacturer will have the same kind of big dollar equipment that made the factory harnesses, where the wire lengths, strip lengths and crimping will be extremely repeatable. They will also be able to produce at a much lower cost due to lower cycle times, wages and *material costs.

I do not have a need for one of these harnesses or have any vested interest in them. In fact, I don't think I've even bought anything from Lindsey Racing. I just don't like seeing someone jumped on for running his business properly.

*material cost will be lower due to buying wire in much larger bulk than I bet Lindsey did.

I would have to agree. We design and install multiple styles and makes of LV and HV harnesses for control, energy management and industrial platforms. And although we can design everything/anything about the cables/harnesses we could never build them at the cost OR consistency that a specialized manufacturer can. It is , IMO, nearly impossible to do while staying competitive.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the older LR injector harness and it was an excellent piece of work. That said, I suspect that Lindsey would only accept a product that is of the same quality before they decided to sell it to their cusomers.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
We have recently sourced out the manufacturing of our popular Fuel
Injector and Crankshaft Reference Sensor harness for the 951 in order
to bring the pricing down. The Injector Harness with Knock Sensor option
was $180 and now normal pricing is only $130. The reference sensor
harness was $130 and now it's only $100.

The special is for the Fuel Injector Harness w/Knock Sensor and Crank
Reference Sensor Harness as a package for $200. This is good for the
first 15 customers.

Please mention "Rennlist Discount" when ordering.

Thanks for your time!
Dave, put me down for one of those! Now...can we at least make a frame, or bronze my frankenstein version, once I cut it out of the car?? :-)
Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Thanks Rick. When you say put down, you mean order and ship I assume?

4 sets sold, 11 to go.

The new sample came in for the sensors. It now has DME temp sensor, Gauge temp sensor, Idle Stabilizer, Oil Pressure Sender, Oil Level Sender, Turbo Water Pump Sender leads. You may not use all those if running a 86 car with no oil level sender, and a dry turbo, but the harness is equipped for it. The sample quality blew us away. It's nice having a company on line with industrial type connections, not auto parts store type. We will be ordering those today once we
ohm it out to verify it's correct, and should have those in a couple of weeks. Price will be $130 on that harness.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you still using the same type of injector plugs? And does the reference sensor still have a yellow band on one of the plugs?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Colin - Same plugs with the spring lever to release. You can see it on the web page. The yellow band is now blue.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The latest sensor harness's are now in stock. It covers the following components.

Idle Air Control Valve
DME Temp Sensor
Water Temp Sensor for dash gauge
Oil Lever Sensor
Oil Pressure Switch
Turbo Temp Sensor

If you run a dry turbo, or have a early car with no oil level sensor, you just don't use those leads.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:13 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I was very pleased with the quality, ease of install, and price for the harnesses I bought. Next time I sneak some money into the 951 budget I will certainly be buying the new one.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I just finished up installing the speed/ref sensor harness last night. It's a nicely made piece.

Install was easy except for getting the old clips out of the DME connector. Mine were pretty stubborn.

One thing to look out for. On mine, the DME connector clips on the LR harness didn't have the locking tabs protruding quite enough. When I inserted them into the connector they could be easily pulled out. A slight bend w/ a screwdriver and they held in place.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a little experience with this. I have to say. If you haven't changed out your wires yet. YOU WILL HAVE TO SOON. I highly suggest picking these up at this price now.

Last edited by 95ONE; 10-02-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So these are harnesses all the way back to the DME plug?? No cutting/splicing??
Old 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We go from sensor or device to the DME or KLR plug with a new terminal pin to swap out in the plugs. On a couple of the harnesses, you make a solder connection into another wire we need to leave in place. We replace as much as possible, and in most cases, that's the entire thing.

We had someone the other day ask if it's required to remove the harness from the car to install these. The answer to that is absolutely not. That would be way to much work for nothing. If we are installing an engine, and have the harness out anyway, we add all the harnesses at that time out of the car, but that's the exception.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Harness "Special Pricing"