Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

blow off valve upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008 | 01:29 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Is this Forge valve plug and play on a stock 951 S? TIA
The inlet is a little larger than stock but still fits in the stock hose. Otherwise it's perfect
Old 08-28-2008 | 01:42 PM
jf951
Instructor

well i've bookmarked the AWE site for future reference. but with all due respect, and this sounds stupid but it looks like something one would put together from the plumbing aisle at Home Depot.
Old 08-28-2008 | 01:45 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bluto951
hey guys as a former Audi owner I have alot of knowledge on this particular part as it is a well known failure point on the 1.8T engines....

When I got my 951 I switched to the stock valve off my old Audi TT and it's been working great. I'd think unless you are running a modified car you wont need much more...but if you do go with a piston type valve just know that you have to keep up with regular maintenence or it will fail too.

AWE Tuning just launch this valve which looks like a good compromise to consider...as long as that diaphrapm holds up like they say it will it should be superior to the piston style valves..

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...rain&IL=awedv1
not saying it don't work but, man is it ever ugly
Old 08-28-2008 | 06:37 PM
jmj951
Pro

I was really interested in this too. Before I bought my 951 the previous owner replaced the diverter valve with the upgraded stock one. As long as it holds pressure, I don't see any reason to replace it yet unless the more responsive EVO valve actually allows the turbo to deliver most boost immediately after shifting as claimed - I don't have any experience with this so I can't say how much of a difference there is.

For everyone that likes the sound of the EVO valve - what type of sound is it?

Here is some other detail I found regarding the Evo valve to help explain why an aftermarket one is better:

Q: What is a diverter valve and what does it do?
A: A diverter valve, also referred to as a "pop off valve", "blow off valve", "boost re-circulation valve", "air/boost bypass valve" is designed to re-circulate the boost pressure that gets built up in the intake manifold in between shifts. The valve at idle (under vacuum) will remain open allowing the air to circulate freely through the intake to the turbo (s) fresh air side. As soon as the throttle is cracked, i.e.: the accelerator pedal is moved, the valve will be forced shut stopping the re-circulation of intake air to the turbos and allowing all the boost pressure to enter the motor.
Q: Why should the OEM valve be replaced?
A: The OEM valve is what is commonly known as a diaphragm valve. This valve has been around since the mid 80's and has always been a very problematic part that typically wears out within the first 6 months of operation. An improperly working diverter valve will cause multiple problems. First of all, a improperly working or defective valve will cause boost loss. We have seen a 7-9 HP gain on the dyno on a small displacement motor just by replacing a worn out OEM valve with our Billet valve. Second, in between shifts when the valve is suppose to open to re-circulate the built up boost pressure, if it is defective and cannot open, the built up manifold pressure will "stall" the compressor of the turbocharger causing it to rapidly slow down which can cause turbocharger failure. This "stalling" of the turbocharger will also increase turbo lag in between shifts and reduce power. In addition, the EVO DV will flow 10% more CFM of airflow over the OEM valve.
Q: What makes the EVO valves Better than the Original?
A: The EVO valve is precision CNC machined from billet aluminum. It utilizes a solid billet piston and twin Viton O-rings. All internal components are lubricated with the highest quality RED LINE high temperature synthetic grease for a lifetime of trouble free use. Our custom wound piston spring is designed to react quicker than the OEM unit for quicker boost response and more power. The EVO valve comes with a LIFETIME Warranty.
A: The OEM valve is made of a thin wall injection plastic. The heat of the engine will warp and distort the plastic which causes failure. The internal rubber diaphragm is very susceptible to failure from the heat and constant open and close movement. Rubber will dry out and crack which causes the valve to lose the ability to hold vacuum, thus failing. The weak OEM spring is very slow to react, which causes a delay in closing, thus leaking valuable boost pressure and slower boost response.
Old 08-28-2008 | 07:03 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Is this Forge valve plug and play on a stock 951 S? TIA
yes
Old 09-09-2008 | 05:44 PM
Synth
Instructor

I got the forge evo valve, but the connections require a 1-1/8th to 1-1/4th ID hose to fit over it. I can't find this hose anywhere, all I can find is clear plastic hose at Lowes. Where did everyone else get their hose from?
Old 09-10-2008 | 07:49 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Are you talking about the hose to the ic. pipe, if so, mine fit on with absolutely no modifications. Stock hoses with silcon hose running to vacume port. Is yours an evo. or a Forge?
Old 09-10-2008 | 11:23 AM
Synth
Instructor

I bought the Forge brand valve for the evo 8 part number FMDVEVO15.

Yeah, the hose connections for both are huge. I just can't find hose big enough. Lol, I think there is a really good sexual innuendo joke in there somewhere.
Old 09-10-2008 | 12:53 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Synth, I'm guessing your car still has the hard plastic black vacuum lines?
Many of us are using silicon line that easily fits over the top connection.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:25 PM
Synth
Instructor

Sorry for not clarifying, not the vacuum line. The hoses connecting the intake and the intercooler pipes are the ones I can't find.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:25 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
not saying it don't work but, man is it ever ugly

What is so bad about it?

We machine the aluminum portion in house. The cream colored plastic cap is supplied directly from Borg Warner. They supply the bolts as well. They come to us with loctite already applied and a washer.

What you see is half OEM and half A.W.E.

In stock. Let me know if anyone has questions.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:37 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.

What is so bad about it?

We machine the aluminum portion in house. The cream colored plastic cap is supplied directly from Borg Warner. They supply the bolts as well. They come to us with loctite already applied and a washer.

the cream colored plastic with exposed bolts just screams home depot to me. Now I know thats not fair esepecially if the materials are completely comparable to stock ones however, it just makes it look cheep/bad.

Its all up to personal preference ofcourse. I've run several different deverter valves on my 951, the billet evo derveter valve looks 10x better INHO and also does the job just fine ditching the diaphram design in favor of the piston style.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:41 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.

What is so bad about it?

I think what they are getting at is in comparison with the aluminum, SS or chromed BOV's that yours, cosmetically, pales a bit.
I, and am pretty sure a great deal others, appreciate you making parts for our cars, and hope you continue to do so. With an ever growing shrinking supply market for the 951, it is important that new and old vendors continue to develop and manufacture critical parts as well as cosmetics and bolt-ons and allow us the same choices that so many other sports car factions enjoy in the modern era.

Thanks for your continued efforts.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:46 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
I think what they are getting at is in comparison with the aluminum, SS or chromed BOV's that yours, cosmetically, pales a bit.
I, and am pretty sure a great deal others, appreciate you making parts for our cars, and hope you continue to do so. With an ever growing shrinking supply market for the 951, it is important that new and old vendors continue to develop and manufacture critical parts as well as cosmetics and bolt-ons and allow us the same choices that so many other sports car factions enjoy in the modern era.

precisely and yes as always we appreciate any/all effort in terms of support for our cars. Not all 951 owners are interested in DIY and building their own stuff.

Alot of us are looking for plug and play parts that are easy to install and a improvement over stock. The aluminum evo derveter valve unit is a prime example. Bolts right up to stock location no strange fitment is required and it looks/performs great.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:48 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by CPR

Believe me, no offense was taken. Our skin is pretty thick...

Will it win any beauty pageants? Nope.
Does it work? Yup.

But saying it's Home Depot-esque? That's what stung...

Quick Reply: blow off valve upgrade?