Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

stupid starter wire Q's ... and bellhousing ground Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stupid starter wire Q's ... and bellhousing ground Q

Sooo, I'm not that far from getting the ride back on the road - just a matter of finding some bits of time here and there when I can squeeze them in ......

But, it's been well over a year since I took everything apart and want to be sure on a couple connections. First pic is of the wires that go to the starter (I believe?). There are 2 'bundles', one with a single wire and another with 2 wires so 3 connections total. My question (don't want to do something stupid): are the 2 connections with the larger 'lugs' connected together on the positive terminal of the starter (I think these are from the battery and the electrical system hot wire)? I know where the little one goes (starter solonoid) - I just don't remember 2 wires on the positive starter terminal ...

Also, I have 2 cable clamps that I believe are for these 2 'bundles' - can anyone tell me where they are supposed to attach to (i.e. where on the bellhousing do I bolt the clamps to )? I see a stud sticking out of the bellhousing near the starter/slave cylinder and assume that's where one goes, but am not sure where the upper one goes.

2nd pic is the top of the bellhousing. This is an '89. I all ready have a small ground attached which is not pictured (behind the oil filler cap - arrow points to it). I've circled the stud at the top of the bellhousing, which all ready has one wire on it. There is another wire next to it that looks like it wants to attach there too, but again, I don't remember there being 2 wires doubled up on that post. Can anyone tell me if they are both indeed attached to this stud?

Thanks for the help, guys!!!

PS - I did search, look in my manuals, Clark's, etc..
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 larger wires both go on the positive terminal of your starter. The one with the red wire bunded in with it comes from the alternator and the other goes to the battery.

Here is a good pic shoing where the ground wires attach.
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1214233672
Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope these pics will help:

Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome guys - thanks a bunch!!!

Also, for posterity's sake, I found where the cable clamps go. There's a stud on the bellhousing up above the TT on the passenger side - the stud points toward the top of the car. The other clamp goes on the stud on the bellhousing next to the TT on the passenger side - the stud points towards the rear of the car.

Wish I had remembered to put the top cable clamp on before I put the TT back in. I think it's going to take longer to do that than getting the rest of the starter/wires/etc. hooked up. Positive cables though, so we don't want them loose and rubbing ...
Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 PM
7B944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my starter out a few times and have wondered if there ever was a cover over this positive terminal from the battery to prevent a meltdown in case a tool or other piece of metal came in contact with it and a ground. All my motorcycles have a rubber cover over these type of connections. I covered this terminal on the 951 with duct tape. -Dave

Quick Reply: stupid starter wire Q's ... and bellhousing ground Q