Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage

I'm moving to school soon so am already thinking about winter storage. I plan to start the car atleast twice a month and let it idle for a few minutes (enough to let thermostat open). Since it won't be on the street, what would be good oil for startup/idling? I was thinking of trying Valvoline maxlife 10-40, 10-30 or 5-30. I also plan to disconnect the battery and just keep the car parked in my mom's garage. During the summer the car uses Valvoline 20-50W racing. The garage is clean and attached to the house so it doesn't get too cold or experience temperature extremes. Any other suggestions let me know.

86 944 Turbo 110,000 miles
Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Lots of different opinions on this one... so I'll give you mine.

Forget starting it at all over the winter. That's the worst part for winter cars. Put some fuel stabilizer in the tank. Bring the battery inside someplace warm. Change the oil before you put it away. Inflate the tires to their max rating. If you worry about squaring the tires, roll it by hand a few feet every month. If you have rodents in your area, put some traps out.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I store my car in the winter, I pick one or two dry days (no salt on the road) a month and actually take it for a 10-15 minute drive. All moving parts on the car get to work a bit; that's the best, if you can do it somehow.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fresh oil, and disconnect battery. It's not like your putting it away for 10 years. I've had cars sit for 5 years and start right up.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinL
Lots of different opinions on this one... so I'll give you mine.

Forget starting it at all over the winter. That's the worst part for winter cars. Put some fuel stabilizer in the tank. Bring the battery inside someplace warm. Change the oil before you put it away. Inflate the tires to their max rating. If you worry about squaring the tires, roll it by hand a few feet every month. If you have rodents in your area, put some traps out.
I completely agree. I'd say the cold start issue is amplified in cars like a 951 given the alloy types and very exacting operating tolerances, coupled with the huge amount of thermal energy it can generate quickly.

Quick Reply: Winter storage