Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

This car is too fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008 | 12:14 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmj951
What pressures are you running front & back?
30 psi all around
Old 08-08-2008 | 12:47 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
30 psi all around
That's low for the rear. Have you tried 36psi cold in the rear? Not sure what your stickers/manual say, but mine are 36psi all-around for the turbo.
Old 08-09-2008 | 03:53 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

I put some more air the tires. i'm running 37 psi front and 33 psi rear. It's perfect! i drove it around for a bit. The car feels better on the hwys, tighter all together. thanks bro!

-- i have to say one more thing. It's 3:25 am and i couldn't stop thinking about this car. What a beautiful piece. I drove tonight without traffic, it was liberating. This car is the best thing to ever happen to me.

Last edited by sebastian944; 08-09-2008 at 04:26 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 08-09-2008 | 12:53 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
NO! You test it on the track ********!
That is why God invented DE; so you don't feel like "testing" on the street. Wow, seabass, road racing on the street will get you in real trouble; bad idea. The 944 has "limits" you cant even imagine until your first instructor takes you out on the track in your own car... you aren't even close to the limit on the street; and you don't want to be! Can't believe I'm still reading this thread...like a moth to a flame or something...
Old 08-09-2008 | 08:43 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually, 30 mph over the posted limit here in Ontario will get you stop under a "road racing" law. Will cost you your car and license on the spot and a $10K fine. While I understand that the actual conviction rate is under 20%, let's face it, they get your car and license first and you have to fight to get them back.

That's why I am starting DE! It's not worth the risk.
Old 08-09-2008 | 08:59 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

You need to get involved in your local Porsche Club and their DE. This is very informative and you will learn a lot from people first hand. Although the people on this site are knowledgeable and helpful there is nothing like advice straight from an enthusiast who will take the time to teach you his lessons learned. Most people who I know at the track will come look at your car and help you out. It is obvious that you do not know your capabilities or the cars. Nor do you know how your car is to be set up and partcipating in your local club will help a lot.

I am trying to not be preachy but offer sound advice.
Old 08-09-2008 | 09:48 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

I'm going to start DE and have some time on a track next summer. Next spring I will be bleeding the breaks, change the pads, fuel lines and change the belts before i go ahead with any track driving.
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:42 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm going to start DE and have some time on a track next summer. Next spring I will be bleeding the breaks, change the pads, fuel lines and change the belts before i go ahead with any track driving.
Before all of that, here's some good advice. Join your area Porsche Club, as was suggested. Take your car to a weekly drive in and ask LOTS of questions! Let the DE/Tech director help you create a plan for how to properly prepare your car, and yourself. You also need a helmet and some other things. Your local club knows the rules.
IF you can't get that info, pm me, and I'll get you in touch with my PCA tech/race/intructer. He's a fantastic guy.
You could also so pm Chris White, a member of our board, and a top 944/951 engine builder. He's a PCA driving instructer, and you'll NEVER find a guy more willing to help an honest guy with a good attitude! I mean NEVER!
These are perhaps, as I've said, some or one of the BEST handling cars ever produced, in road form. They really are. They are ALMOST idiot proof!....ALMOST!<<<depends on the driver's age!

Anyway, find your local club. They can really be a fantastic resourse. Don't feel "out" or "odd" because the others may have 150k cars. The majority are just car junkies who chose THIS drug.

BTW

AFter the years of being on this board. PLEASE GOD! don't ever post anything like the title to this thread! You're really lucky that some of the old guys aren't on the board anymore, because this could have become a comic BLOOD BATH!
Old 08-10-2008 | 06:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

"AFter the years of being on this board. PLEASE GOD! don't ever post anything like the title to this thread! You're really lucky that some of the old guys aren't on the board anymore, because this could have become a comic BLOOD BATH! "

It's scary just to think about what could have happened. heheheh...
Old 08-10-2008 | 02:13 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As i was writing this, i was thinking it might be my tires too. Up front i have Bridgestone Potenza S0-1 which have about 50% tread left. In the back i have brand new Sumitumo HTR Z. Maybe the difference in tire brands and treadwear is a big part of the problem? Do you guys regularly have this problem with deep grooves in highways from heavy trucks?
That’s interesting.
My Jalpa has always felt like a go-cart, it goes exactly where I point it (up to the g-limit of cause). I just mounted new P255/50ZR-16 Sumitomo HTR Z tires on the rear, before doing 2 x 200 miles highway driving and now it feels like the rear is randomly drifting a bit and lane change induces some very unpleasant over-steer.
When returning home at 2AM at night I didn’t notice the problem though ... but that could for other reasons.

Eons ago I had the same problem with my 1985 MR2 when putting new tires on the back only and thought this was a phenomenon exclusively for rear engine cars.

I think it has to do with the increased slip angle, deep threads and maybe even the Sumitomo thread pattern induces some wandering as the pressure distribution from inside to outside shifts slightly.

My 951 is rock steady and predictable at any speed and turn I have tried.

Quick Reply: This car is too fast