Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Popping in the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping in the exhaust

Last week I attended a DE and notice some popping in the exhaust on heal/toe down-shifts at the end on the longer straights. The car has a Vitesse chip, 3.0 bar FPR, stock AFM, and stock exhaust with gutted cat. The car runs stock boost levels using the cycling valve. Would the popping be normal with this set-up when down-shifting?

Also, I have seen some 951s running without the stock side skirts and rear diffuser in order to reduce weight. Would this have a negative impact on the handling of the car?

Thanks.

Tony
Old 08-02-2008, 02:53 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes its normal. I would get poping on my old exhaust all the time(lindsey 3inch) now with the fabspeed 4inch even more so.

Guys with test pipes get the same thing. Probably a mixed of unused fuel between throttle closings and the temp of the hot pipe it passes through.

when on full boost and dumping alot of fuel the popping turns into fire. Atleast thats been my expierence.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:05 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rad_951
Last week I attended a DE and notice some popping in the exhaust on heal/toe down-shifts at the end on the longer straights. The car has a Vitesse chip, 3.0 bar FPR, stock AFM, and stock exhaust with gutted cat. The car runs stock boost levels using the cycling valve. Would the popping be normal with this set-up when down-shifting?

Also, I have seen some 951s running without the stock side skirts and rear diffuser in order to reduce weight. Would this have a negative impact on the handling of the car?

Thanks.

Tony
Do not remove those pieces, it will do more harm than good. That rear diffuser was designed in a wind tunnel, and give 130lbs of downforce, if I recall correctly.

Quick Reply: Popping in the exhaust