Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WANTED 87 airbag dash for a core

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atlanta? Shipped? Hell, I might just drive up and get it. I'll get back to you in the next couple of days.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However, you can consider it about 99% sold.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I hear what you're saying, but when a car is 20-22 years old how much could airbags save? (Id honestly love to know) and even if you were to swap in an 86 dash - how would they know?

Just playing devils advocate...
Okay, since I'm in a slight rush I'll be quick. There is very little reason (from a safety perspective) to pull or disconnect the airbags in our cars. The original airbag systems were single initiator-single inflator systems that packed a lot of punch. The crash requirements back then were for a full sized occupant to survive a 30mph unbelted head on collision. In order to meet these requirements the original bags packed a hell of a punch to keep the fat asses in their cars.

After a bunch of small people (kids and women) were getting seriously jacked up they changed the requirements. Nowadays the newer airbags have belted 30mph requirements so the inflators are not as violent and many cars have seat sensors to determine occupant size and have variable initiator firing capability. Most cars now have dual initiator airbags.

So without actually looking at the initiator and inflators in our cars, I will say that unless your a 80 lb unbelted occupant, it's probably safer to leave the bags in and operational. The service like for modern initiators and inflators are over 100 years and "MOST" of the older systems are not far behind. Unless of course our cars have a plastic can initiator with a non-sealed inflator.

I'd be more concerned with wiring corrosion but one of these days I'll tear one of them apart to see what parts they used and tell you exactly how long they'll last.

Last edited by Jeremy Himsel; 08-08-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Pile O Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'm excited I actually get to help out on Rennlist for once! Yay!

Quick Reply: WANTED 87 airbag dash for a core