Plug wire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 AM
mr944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wire replacement

hey guys

i tried to do the plug wires today and well i couldnt remove the old ones out. it seems like you gotta either cut the old ones or remove the fuel rail out... Is there a writeup or can someone give me some advice.

thanks in advance...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Are the wires stuck to the head? If they've been in there for a long time the rubber boot may have fused to the head a little. If you don't want to remove the intake for better access, try a pair of long, bent needle-nose pliers, grasp them firmly, and twist. Should loosen then up.

If that doesn't work, you may have to pull the intake to get better access.

If you're talking about the wires feeding through the wire holder that runs by the fuel rail, then yes, I've had to loosen the fuel rail to feed the wires through. You could probably bypass the holder w/ the new wires so you don't have to pull the rail and just cut the old ones off.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by jerome951
Are the wires stuck to the head? If they've been in there for a long time the rubber boot may have fused to the head a little. If you don't want to remove the intake for better access, try a pair of long, bent needle-nose pliers, grasp them firmly, and twist. Should loosen then up.
Long bent needle nose are what I often have to use on OEM wires, just grap carefully around the plastic Beru end and twist. The pliers are about 12" long with a 45' bend at the end.

If it is a problem getting past the fuel rail/intake, try it from the distributer end as the rubber ends are smaller and easier to feed through. If you do have the OEM Beru wires then simply unscrew the end caps.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM
mr944
Advanced

i have no problem getting the wires off the plugs its just feeding the wires through, its really cramped in there. I know if i cut the old wires i can get them off, but then how do you feed the new ones through????
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Go down to Auto Zone, O'Reielly's, NAPA or whatever your favorite auto supply store is. They have spark plug pliers that are especially made for those hard to get to places.

Quick Reply: Plug wire replacement