Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

bad dme?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
i bought a new dme and my klr has a stage 2 autothority chip. is there a chip i need to take out of my old dme and put in my new one?
Old thread, but did that fix your issue? I replaced the sensors and the harness and sometimes it just dies by itself If i wiggle the new harness and new sensors harness at the top it starts again. Could it be a bad DME?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I had similar random issues and was able to repair my DME. Several others have had success with this as well.

Here's the thread, let me know if it fixes it for you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ed-w-pics.html
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Greg so if the car died and you wiggled the ref/speed/ sensor it would start?
Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 12:27 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

No, sorry, maybe I misunderstood. My issue was strictly DME related, at one point I had the DME laying on the passenger floorboard and would give a whack if the car died.

You were speculating that you might have a bad DME and the procedure outlined in my linked post shows you a known failure point and how to fix it.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Cool, Thanks for the input and your thread which helps a lot. I'm at the point of getting rid of this car, since it stops randomly. If I wiggle the sensor harness then it's all good. The sensor and harness are new so I'm not happy with it.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:01 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by minho78
Old thread, but did that fix your issue? I replaced the sensors and the harness and sometimes it just dies by itself If i wiggle the new harness and new sensors harness at the top it starts again. Could it be a bad DME?
i never used the new one i bought. i use it now as a tester. i touched up the solder joints (as in gregs repair) in my original one and that fixed the problem. i went round and round with the speed and ref sensors thinking that it was the reason for my problem.

being that you wiggle the sensors around and it starts seems like your problem is in the harness or sensors

i would check the gaps on the sensors to the flywheel and do gregs repair. after that i would look into the sensors/harness some more
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 AM
quinnfiske
Pro

I agree your problem seems to be in the sensor harness. If you can wiggle it and the problem goes away that is where to start. Make sure the connectors are properly mated together. It is also possible that the terminal crimps to the wire are the culprit.

New stuff can fail, ask anyone in the electronics industry.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Yeahh, I work in the electronics industry and you made me realize how many times I at our products since I work in the RD department. Yeahh I need to take some time and see if there's an issue with the connectors. Thanks

Quick Reply: bad dme?